PLC programming and wiring tutorial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a great idea for people like myself (not an electrical engineer or anything close). I am currently in the process of putting together a PLC based system using a Click PLC which has been a long project of mine (learning as I go along). I am planning on using automated valves, PID temperature controllers controlled via modbus, and automated pumps (using modbus driven GS2 vfd drives). I would also like to add volume sensing (using a bubbler method with the base analog inputs on the Click), I will look into this after I have the base components working. I am using a Cmore HMI panel to monitor, store recipes and control the system (this part may be beyond what you want to include in the tutorial).

I have tested the programming on individual pieces (i.e switches, valves, vfd and HMI) and I am getting ready to start assembling and then move onto programming the PLC (which I will need to learn more on). I have only tested very basic individual programs thus far and everything seems to work fine. However I think a guide specifically for brewing on the Click PLC would be very helpful.

If I could add/change a couple of things to the tutorial, they would be:

1. Wiring for an RTD/THM module, the base Click PLC you are using only has 2 analog inputs which I do not think would be sufficient for everyone.

2. Basic wiring for switches and other discrete inputs. Include the following image in the guide:

click_w_pb_stacklight_sm.gif

3. General discussion of things to watch out for in wiring/building a control panel (i.e. using different voltages, using terminal blocks, circuit protection, grounding, wiring an e-stop, etc.). This may be beyond what you are attempting, but I think useful nonetheless.

4. Add a standard wiring diagram for other outputs (specifically wiring a valve)
a. The automated valves that I see being used by other homebrewers are the KLD20S/CWX15Q valves (I am using the same type). This is the wiring diagram for the valves that I am using (there are other wirings of course).

CR303%E7%BA%BF%E8%B7%AF%E5%9B%BE.png

5. As far as programming goes, I would like to see some general programs involving for timers/alarms, calling subroutines and a PID loop (not built into the Click PLC). I am personally using Solo controllers and GS2 drives with built in PID functionality (i.e. I didn't want to have to program these myself but I assume others will want to).

I think there were a few other posts on here of people using a click PLC and someone even posted their .ckp program file they had made (see post 64).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=430241

I am by no means an expert, but these are some of the things I was/still am going through in my build.

Back