custom Imm Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearlbeer

Reaction score
Looking to build a custom IC. Anyone know a good place to source 3/8" copper tubing?

I could be wrong, but I've been looking around for copper for a chiller and noticed that you don't want the line referred to as refrigeration line. Its only rated up to 150F or something like that. You run the risk of it cracking in boiling wort.

I could be wrong, but I've been looking around for copper for a chiller and noticed that you don't want the line referred to as refrigeration line. Its only rated up to 150F or something like that. You run the risk of it cracking in boiling wort.

Hrm.....I think that's a pressure/temperature thing. I used the thinnest I could find, which I think is refridge line, and I believe most everyone else does the same. Copper's copper, in my mind, so I don't see how the fridge line could crack. Hell, you can solder the stuff, and solder temps are much much higher.

shortyjacobs said:
Hrm.....I think that's a pressure/temperature thing. I used the thinnest I could find, which I think is refridge line, and I believe most everyone else does the same. Copper's copper, in my mind, so I don't see how the fridge line could crack. Hell, you can solder the stuff, and solder temps are much much higher.

If that's right that's very good news!

How much copper would one recommend for a homemade chiller? I can get 10-20' fairly cheap out here, and am considering this because icebaths suck for anything larger than a yeast starter.

How much copper would one recommend for a homemade chiller? I can get 10-20' fairly cheap out here, and am considering this because icebaths suck for anything larger than a yeast starter.

two 20 foot legnths in parrallel would work very nicely. thats how i do it (only with 2x25ft).

my thoughts....

I've seen a lot of people with 50' chillers that only end up having half (or less) submerged in the wort when they are chilling. That's a huge waste.

Because of the dip-tube in my kettle (converted sanke keg), I couldn't even get my 25' coil completely into the liquid.

my thoughts....

I've seen a lot of people with 50' chillers that only end up having half (or less) submerged in the wort when they are chilling. That's a huge waste.

Because of the dip-tube in my kettle (converted sanke keg), I couldn't even get my 25' coil completely into the liquid.

rsLva.png

This is how I did mine....lets me get the chiller all the way in and still have a center dip tube. (Black is keggle, blue is dip tube, gold is chiller)

Seems that its real thin and pliable... Not sure I would go that route. At least for me I had issue with the stuff from HD and it kinking on me so I could image this stuff being that much harder to work with.

Prior to repurposing my IC to a CFC, I used 2 - 20' 3/8" rolls from HD connected w/dual compression fitting...no leaks, though you really gotta crank that SOB on there...just didn't cool fast enough for me though, even with a 25' prechiller.

Back