Do yeast fart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toilet Rocker

Reaction score
OK, I have a wheat extract recipe undergoing mad fermentation after using a starter prepared two days in advance. That's the only aspect of my brewing technique that's been any different from previous batches. Well, this batch looks great and smelled great, but now is starting to stink out the closet it's in. The Krausen is a full thick ~3" foam, but one part looks like it has chocolate pudding on it. The smell is quite foul. The temp has held steady at 70. I clean/sanitize like a madman, so I can't imagine anything got in. Fermentation took off quick and rapid after pitching. Thoughts?

Precisely. Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I just read elsewhere about the sulfuric stench and it sounds like it does go away leaving no residual scent. Is this just from particular strains of yeast (I used WL European Ale).

Yep, it'll be fine. Had it happen to me with a certain strain, I forget which one. The smell from just the starter was pretty bad. But it went away once fermentation hd subsided.

NJ. I'll be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn at the Rockaway Mall off I-80.

I stayed there once before. It's a nice place, but I prefer the Embassy Suites in Parsippany.

They didn't think it was funny when I asked them to send Paris up to my room when she arrived so we could finish that movie.

About 30 mins north of there off 15N is Krogh's which serves a mighty oatmeal stout. Their red is pretty complex too. Is this the area of Jersey you said you're from?

No. I was born and raised in Camden back in the 50's and 60's. I was a teenager in the late 60's/early 70's in Atlantic City.

After I got out of the Army (entered during Viet Nam period) I worked at Ft. Dix for several years, then Ft. Monmouth (Tinton Falls/Eatontown).

Wanna meet for a brew next week? Let me know when and where. I'll buy the first and second round.

Back