Bulk Grain Eastern Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidtpd

Reaction score
Anyone in the Pittsburgh/ Youngstown area doing bulk grain buys? I live about 40 miles from each city. I would like to buy 5 or more sacks. I'm trying to save on some shipping. I would also like to find a brewing club in the area. Thx. :mug:

I don't know about bulk buys in the area, but there is a LHBS called "The Pumphouse" in Struthers, Ohio. When I stopped in there a while back, the owner had a pretty good awareness of the local homebrew clubs and activities.

Maybe try giving him a call? I can't remember his name, but I do remember he had unusual hours, like 10-1, 3-6 or something like that.

Apparently, the brew store in Austintown is closing its doors this week. He didn't have much in the way of grain at all when I was there last month, just small amounts of all of them and he had to order a sack if you wanted one.

I'd be interested. The guy at the PumpHouse has 2 row for less than $1 a pound. I can get you a phone number if you need it.

Maybe if we could get a few more guys, we could make a bulk buy from north country malt? Does the pumphouse have a web site? I have brought things from billy d's (Austintown)and the grape and granary (Akron)in the past. Both are good people to deal with. Billy d went out of business last week unknown why. However, I have never been to the pumphouse. I would like to check it out sometime. It's about a 45 minute trip to Austintown from Steubenville Oh. area were I live. I believe Struthers in closer?

Maybe if we could get a few more guys, we could make a bulk buy from north country malt? Does the pumphouse have a web site? I have brought things from billy d's (Austintown)and the grape and granary (Akron)in the past. Both are good people to deal with. Billy d went out of business last week unknown why. However, I have never been to the pumphouse. I would like to check it out sometime. It's about a 45 minute trip to Austintown from Steubenville Oh. area were I live. I believe Struthers in closer?

Pumphouse is pretty low tech. I'll probably volunteer to host a forum for the local club that used his web site. Not much activity there. I really don't know many folks in this area at the moment since I'm new to brewing myself. Had a friend from Akron get me involved.

Depending on how you get into the area, Austintown may have been closer if you came up 11. With the PH offering base grain at under a buck a pound, not sure how much I'd save bulk at the moment. I need to convince my wife we need to visit my brother in Milwaukee. Then I can pass right by Midcountry on the way home. ;)

Back