Woo, that stinks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
Yesterday, I brewed up a batch of my sour mash dry stout. Instead of doing a separate sour mash this time, I pulled out a gallon of wort, inoculated it with a handful of crushed grain, and left it in the garage at 85-95 degrees for 24 hours.

Here's what it looked like earlier:*
8389368-500x500.jpg

I just finished boiling it for ten minutes to pasteurize it. I forget just how bad this process smells. Woohoo!

Hopefully, between SWMBO being (a) asleep and (b) sick with a cold, she won't complain too much about the smell. Think boiling stout, plus sour milk, plus dirty socks.

It does make for a wonderful stout, though. I'm going nuts with it, adding back in just under 20% by volume of sour beer, instead of the 6% my recipe calls for. :rockin:

I'll try to remember to post up in another three or five weeks, when I keg it up.

*Yep, that's a 2 gallon Pyrex carboy. No, you can't have it. This one is mine.

Looks like someone got sick on top of some perfectly good wort. :cross: Certainly sounds like an interesting process and brew.

-Steve

Yea my first sour mash for my kentucky common smelled terrrible because I let it vent for the other 23 hours. Got nassty. Turned out awesome though. I'd like to try a little soured Stout.

I think Guinness uses like 6-7% sour mash in their stout right? Is that the taste you're going for?

Guinness does seem a little more "refreshing" to me than other stouts (if you can ever call a beer like that refreshing). I bet its their slight sourness that adds to the drinkability.

Yes, I'm told Guinness uses around 6% soured beer in their stout. My idea for this beer was to make a dry stout that's not trying to be a Guinness clone. Rye, and more IBU's helps get this beer there. It's been pretty successful every time I brew it. This time, I wanted to see what going overboard on the soured beer would do. I may end up oaking it as well, if I'm not too lazy.

The full recipe is in my dropdown listing, but it doesn't seem to be working for me now. here's a link to the recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/sour-mash-dry-stout-81589/

Back