Transporting a Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Somerville

Reaction score
I've decided to buy a kegging system from Morebeer.com. My g/f goes to Chico State and I would like to introduce my homebrew to their parties...what better way than a keg? Though, I have some questions about transporting it. I live 3 hours away and own a Mitsubishi Lancer. Is it possible to lay a keg down horizontally? Or does it always have to be vertical? I could buy a Parka to keep it relatively cool for the drive and then throw it in a large bin with ice once I arrive.
At first, I was going to go with just a 2.5 gal Corny Keg so I could throw it in a cooler and have it ready to go, but then I thought that would run out too fast. I plan on getting the CO2 Injector Ball Lock http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18301
for the trips to Chico. Anyone have experience with this type of product?

Thanks!

If your psi is stable and you trust your O rings and pet cocks your fine you can transport it upside down if you wanted to I would suggest just bypassing chico and coming up here to Redding and giving me the keg!!!! You know all those kids at Chico St wont appericate it as much as I will.
JJ

I've used that injector. Be very careful and do not leave it attached to the keg. Otherwise, someone will decide the keg needs more pressure, over do it and blow the relief. It's really exciting the first time.

I've transported kegs on their sides and haven't had a problem. Since you have a long trip, get it as cold as possible before leaving.

Kegs actually manage to hold temp pretty well if you insulate them and keep them out of direct sunlight. Wrap that bad boy in a sleeping bag when you put it on the back seat.

Back