Primary Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noldar

Reaction score
When talking about how long the wort has been in the primary ... do you start right when you throw it into the Carboy/bucket or when the yeast starts working and fermenting? I'm on 9 days of time in carboy but 6 since fermenting started.

Generally people count the days from when the yeast is first pitched. However, ALL references to a number of days in the primary are just guidelines. Good guidelines but not anything to get all worked up over.

The time to move it over is after you are certain that the inital fermentation is completed. The guideline of 7 days usually covers it.

Yep, don't worry to much about it. Let it sit in the primary for a few more days. I just shorten the secondary time if I am in a rush to get it into bottles.

I'm in absolutely no rush to get it into bottles. It's my first batch and I'd rather not mess it up :) I planned on leaving it in until Wednesday night then transfering into the Secondary for two weeks. If I do that, I'll have had it in the Primary for 10 days ... is that alright?

SG was 1.050. I haven't taken once since because it's in a Carboy and was going to wait until I put it into the Secondary.

How do you pull a Hydro reading when it's in a glass carboy?

Don't worry about taking a gravity until you are ready to rack it. Get a reading right at the beginning, but rack it regardless of the reading. multiple readings are a good idea, but if your fermenter doesn't have a spigot, don't risk contaminating the brew.

Noldar said:
How do you pull a Hydro reading when it's in a glass carboy?

I use something called a "Thief", which is nothing big... cost about 8 or 10 bucks... got it a long time ago. Any homebrew store should have it.

Ended up racking it this afternoon.

Starting Gravity : 1.050
Gravity @ Secondary : 1.010

Leaving it in for 2 weeks, will I see the FG drop much lower then 1.010?

Beer Snob said:
I use something called a "Thief", which is nothing big... cost about 8 or 10 bucks... got it a long time ago. Any homebrew store should have it.

Alternately you can use an autosiphon without a hose to grab samples. Since an autosiphon is about $8 and cna serve both purposes I consider it a great investment.

Noldar said:
Ended up racking it this afternoon.

Starting Gravity : 1.050
Gravity @ Secondary : 1.010

Leaving it in for 2 weeks, will I see the FG drop much lower then 1.010?

I agree with Bill in that it sounds like it's done, but this is nothing to realy be all that upset about... that's 40 points.... ProMash puts it at 5.26 % alcohol by volume.

Congrats!

Back