Thoughts on this IPA recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phenry

Reaction score
So my next batch is going to be an IPA. Does this look like a decent recipe?

6.6 lb pale LME
2.0 lb pale DME
0.5 lb Crystal 60*L steeping grains

0.5 Chinook (10.3 AA) - 60 min
0.5 Simcoe (11.9 AA) - 60 min
0.5 Chinook - 30 min
0.5 Simcoe - 30 min
1.0 Cascade (5.0 AA) - 15 min
0.5 Chinook - 5 min
0.5 Simcoe - 5 min
0.5 Cascade - flame out
0.5 Simcoe - flame out
1.0 oz Simcoe - dry hop
1.0 oz Cascade - dry hop

Estimated OG: 1.067
IBU: 75.6

This is my first attempt at coming up with a recipe, is it too complicated? I do love hops and my favorite IPAs are usually accused of being unbalanced, so I thought that was a good BU:GU ratio to start with. I'm open to any suggestions seeing as I'm kinda new to this.

what im trying with my current IIPA is two different dry hop additions. i read an article in zymurgy about it this month. they say to have shorter contact time with the dry hops and then use a second addition after a few days.

Sounds good! I feel like Simcoe can be overkill if used too much mid boil(not that .5oz is a lot), but I'm just going off tasting beers with it(such as Ranger IPA), not necessarily my personal use of Simcoe. I did use it along with Amarillo to dry hop an all-Amarillo IPA and it was great!! Hopslam uses all simcoe as a dry hop in Hopslam also, so I really think you can't lose in the aroma/dry hop dept!!

Only other thing I could say, is maybe move the 30 minute additions to 20, since you'll get more flavor out of them.

I think the Chinook will be tasty in there too. Some Amarillo would really top this whole recipe off!!! ;)

phenry said:
So my next batch is going to be an IPA. Does this look like a decent recipe?

6.6 lb pale LME
2.0 lb pale DME
0.5 lb Crystal 60*L steeping grains

0.5 Chinook (10.3 AA) - 60 min
0.5 Simcoe (11.9 AA) - 60 min
0.5 Chinook - 30 min
0.5 Simcoe - 30 min
1.0 Cascade (5.0 AA) - 15 min
0.5 Chinook - 5 min
0.5 Simcoe - 5 min
0.5 Cascade - flame out
0.5 Simcoe - flame out
1.0 oz Simcoe - dry hop
1.0 oz Cascade - dry hop

Estimated OG: 1.067
IBU: 75.6

This is my first attempt at coming up with a recipe, is it too complicated? I do love hops and my favorite IPAs are usually accused of being unbalanced, so I thought that was a good BU:GU ratio to start with. I'm open to any suggestions seeing as I'm kinda new to this.

I'd probably shift the 30 min additions to either 60 or Flameout, depending if you want it very bitter or a very hoppy flavor and aroma. Otherwise, looks really tasty. Also, I always just dry hop for 5-7 days leading up to bottling/kegging and it's worked well for me.

I'd probably shift the 30 min additions to either 60 or Flameout, depending if you want it very bitter or a very hoppy flavor and aroma. Otherwise, looks really tasty. Also, I always just dry hop for 5-7 days leading up to bottling/kegging and it's worked well for me.

If that's the case I would split it up - the half oz of Chinook added to the 60 min and the half oz of Simcoe to one of the later additions.

Kind of off topic, but why does it seem that most brewers avoid 30 min additions at all costs?

If that's the case I would split it up - the half oz of Chinook added to the 60 min and the half oz of Simcoe to one of the later additions.

Kind of off topic, but why does it seem that most brewers avoid 30 min additions at all costs?

Well, it's because of the "value" of the additions. At 30 minutes, you're not getting flavor out of the hops, just bittering. But at 30 minutes, you're not getting much bittering, since a 30 minute boil won't isomerize as many of the acids as a 60 minute boil. So, it's sort of a "wasted" addition.

If you want more IBUs (bittering), add them at 60 minutes. If you want flavor, add them at 15-20 minutes. If you want aroma, add them at 5-0 minutes.

I'd change up the recipe and add them later in the boil if the IBUs were where I wanted them.

Back