Liquor in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not overly concerned about this but thought I would pose the question anyway...I racked to secondary yesterday and added tequila to my airlock, because I was out of vodka. Anyway, I noticed that some of the tequila was leaking into the fermenter, just a few drops. So, is that going to hurt anything? I don't think it will matter much but thought I'd ask.

Won't hurt anything. The alcohol content of the tequila or any spirit of that strength is going to kill any microbes. Nothing to worry about there. And being such a small amount going into the beer it likely won't impart any flavors either :mug:

Dont mean to thread hijack but what is the point to putting something alcoholic into the airlock?

Theoretically the alcohol in the spirit should have the same effect as using sanitation fluid in the airlock whereby lessening the chance that any harmful organism can get into the beer. So in other words just in case some of the airlock fluid gets into the beer it won't infect it.

Back