Force Carb at Room Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchadscud

Reaction score
I've got 4 cornies, 2 in the kegerator and 2 for the pipeline. Is it possible to force carb the 2 in the pipeline at room temperature or should I just wait until they go into the kegerator and are chilled?

Most of the carb level charts I have seen don't list a PSI for temperatures that high. Just wondering if anyone has any guidance on force carbing at around 70 degrees. Ideally, I would like to have them ready to go (outside of chilling) once I finish one from the kegerator.

I figured it would be around 40-50psi. Thanks for the confirmation. I already have a second bottle and regulator for this purpose.

So if the logic works, a room temperature keg at 40psi that is then chilled down to say 40 degrees should now be sitting around 10-15psi, right?

Yes, as long as you disconnect the 40psi source as you chill it down, the keg volumes on the chart will remain the same while the pressure decreases based on the new temperature.

I usually force carb at room temp since the kegerator can only hold two kegs at a time. I usually use around 35 PSI or so. If you have Beersmith it can tell you the correct PSI for a particular volume at whatever temp you choose.

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm wondering what will happen if I hit the keg with a shot of 40 psi co2 to purge the keg, then leave it at room temp disconnected from the C02.

Will the pressure slowly drop as the C02 is absorbed? if so, can I just hit it every couple of days with 40 psi? Seems it should at least give me a head start, and shorten the time once I get it in the kegerator?...
:confused:

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but I'm wondering what will happen if I hit the keg with a shot of 40 psi co2 to purge the keg, then leave it at room temp disconnected from the C02.

Will the pressure slowly drop as the C02 is absorbed? if so, can I just hit it every couple of days with 40 psi? Seems it should at least give me a head start, and shorten the time once I get it in the kegerator?...
:confused:

Considering a full keg has about 1" of head space, you're not really injecting any CO2 to speak of in terms of absorption and carbonating.

If you want to shorten the time, drop in a 1/2 cup of priming sugar when you rack and let the keg carb up naturally.

Back