New Oatmeal Stout Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
This is the new label idea for a stout kit that we brewed last night.
I am hoping to keep it simple but colorful.

Critiques or comments?

Oatmealstoutlabel.png

BTW, I am starting to really like Inkscape! Of course, there is always work to be done.... :)

Im not sure i like the shape of the center element the corners of the square a little too square it kind of takes away from the circle shapes that you have in your text placement and the curved decrative elements in the corners.

Im not sure i like the shape of the center element the corners of the square a little too square it kind of takes away from the circle shapes that you have in your text placement and the curved decrative elements in the corners.
I'm gonna disagree. Can't exactly say why, but I like it. Maybe it's because it makes me think of a big cask of beer. The only thing I might change would be to move the bottled-on date and the ABV to the top corners instead of at the bottom or maybe get rid of the word "bottled" and just have 6/25/2008 or even 6/25/08. I think that would create some symmetry with the ABV and the text at the bottom that my eye would like more.

Overall I think it's one of the better designs I've seen, especially the center element.

Well, this is my first reply and I have never homebrewed yet so...

Nice label. I like the concept, any "earthy" is cool by me. However, the "fall oatmeal stout" red part kinda competes with the tree in the background too much. This makes the label seem busier than you might think. The fact the red section covers the middle part of the tree makes the whole design a bit awkward, the tree seems like it needs to be revealed more. Give me more tree!

I like the colors but I'm a little concerned the red is a little too bright (althought that section alone looks really cool). Have you considered changing the red to the same color as the brown strip at the bottom? Or picking a red in the tree picture? (there are some cooler colored red leaves above the "Co." that might work). This would further simplify the whole composition.

Despite my nitpicking, your label makes me wanna buy your beer so good job!

Well, this is my first reply and I have never homebrewed yet so...

Nice label. I like the concept, any "earthy" is cool by me. However, the "fall oatmeal stout" red part kinda competes with the tree in the background too much. This makes the label seem busier than you might think. The fact the red section covers the middle part of the tree makes the whole design a bit awkward, the tree seems like it needs to be revealed more. Give me more tree!

I like the colors but I'm a little concerned the red is a little too bright (althought that section alone looks really cool). Have you considered changing the red to the same color as the brown strip at the bottom? Or picking a red in the tree picture? (there are some cooler colored red leaves above the "Co." that might work). This would further simplify the whole composition.

Despite my nitpicking, your label makes me wanna buy your beer so good job!

It doesn't look busy to me, but these suggestions regarding the colors might be worth messing around with. It could also be as simple as differences in monitor settings.

Thanks for the critiques and comments. I will be editing it soon to see how it turns out.

I might try to reduce the opacity of the background. That might compete less with the label foreground.

We shall see.

Thanks again.

I like it. I agree with Brian S, though, I think the corners of the red area should be rounded to match the decorative elements.
I'd like to see how it would look with a slight transparency to the red part...

Back