DUMB two-fer: 1 gallon vs. 5 gallon airlock activity & sanitizing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
1: Is 5 gallon airlock/blowoff tube activity five times faster than 1 -gallon airlock/blowoff activity.

I hear so many say their airlocks are bubbling several times a second. My blowoff tube began late last night with one bubble every two seconds, this morning reached a heightened rate of three bubbles every two seconds this morning. And is now calming down to one bubble every four seconds.

I was actually very worried yesterday that I had killed the yeast by straining it through a sanitized strainer.

2: Sanitation and sanitizer, if in direct contact with yeast would kill it, right?

I mean that makes sense doesn't it. Sanitation kills microbes and yeast's competitors and yeast is a microbe and a competitor to its competitors, right?

When I saw the yeast recover but slowly I was tempted to toss in more yeast. (My source supply had reawoken itself too, excessively so) But I figure that'd be silly. If I had low activity due to a small number of yeasts but it grow and then tapered off, they'd be reproducing themselves to fit the envioronment; if activity wasn't high it's because there is only so much sugar for them to eat not that there are too few yeasts to east the sugar (otherwise the activity would not go down).

Which leads to a freebie-threebie

3: Is there is fermenation but not much, it never makes any sense to add more yeast, or does it?

Back