Will a very small sanitizer anchor in the bottle ruin the beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkelley18

Reaction score
After bottling most of my beer, I realized the bottles weren't 100% dry - there was a couple drops of sanitized water in the bottom. Could this potentially ruin the beer or am I being over paranoid? Thanks.

You WANT trace amounts of sanitizer in whatever you are using. If using a no-rinse/wet contact sanitizer like iodophor or starsan you should always sanitize fresh, and leave things wet. You should sanitize on bottling day (or brew day if you are brewing.) It only takes a few minutes. If you let a no-rinse, wet contact sanitizer like starsan or iodophor, dry your are reducing it's efficacy by half. If it is dry, any micro organisms that touch the surface render it no longer sanitized. If the walls are wet with sanitizer, that organism would be toast. But dry it would still be alive.

In fact because of that, the inventor of starsan worked it out so that starsan breaks down into "yeast food" in fact many of the compounds are found in most softdrinks, so they are perfectly safe when at the correct dillution.

There's a lot of great info in this thread, including the links to podcasts about the two most effective sanitizers we use, iodophor and starsan.

Sanitizer Question.

I always love your posts, Revvy. Do you have a Word document somewhere with all your explanations? Then every time these threads pop up, you just copy and paste? Seems so incredibly efficient.:mug:

It's a no rinse as well. You'll be fine. But you might want to read through the thread I posted in my first posting, it has some important info about onestep, and some great info on the two sanitizers we recommend for brewing, iodophor or starsan

this may sound sarcastic but its not. Why does it say on the back of the starsan bottle to allow for it to dry in order for it to be properly sanatized?

I agree leaving it wet makes sense but there has to be some wierd chemical reason to allow it to dry right?

Homebrew use: Thoroughly wash all surfaces with detergent or a compatible cleaner, followed by a potable water rinse before application of sanitizing solution. Prepare a use solution of 1 oz. of Star San per 5 gallons of tap water. Apply on surfaces with a cloth mop, sponge, spray or by a 5 minute immersion. For spray applications, use a course mist, with pump or trigger spray. Spray 6 to 8 inches from surface; rub with a brush, cloth or sponge. With spray, cover or remove all food products. For all applications, allow to air dry, however surfaces must remain wet for at least one minute

When using one-step I always alow everything to dry or I wipe dry with a paper towel. The reason it is important to do this is that it is the oxidation process that does the sanitizing. The solution has not fully oxidized until it has dried.

I don't see how it's possible to soak a bottle w Starsan, not rinse it, then let it dry. Everytime after I soak the bottles theres tons of bubbles inside the bottle that it would take EONS for them to completely dry out. I might have to do the bottles before I make the beer!

Back