Rolling Rock Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthebear

Reaction score
I had a friend give me a bunch of Rolling Rock bottles. I'm a little wary about using them because they are green and everyone says, "green bottles don't block UV". But my friend is an ex-homebrewer and he says that the Rolling Rock bottles work just fine.

Has anyone else used them?

Bear,

I have some Moosehead and Dos XX bottles that are green. No problems yet. As Death said, just keep then in the dark...

We need to try and set up that meeting again at Squatters in SLC. I have to work weekends in July but maybe a Monday or Tuesday night. Keep that in mind.

They're vampire bottles, treat them accordingly (no light, no holy water, no garlic).

:off:
How shttty is it that AB still prints the "from the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe..." when RR is none such any more? It bugs me... am I the only one?

Plenty of people use Grolsch flip top bottles. They're green. Plus you don't have to wrooy about bottle caps.:p

Hell, newcastle comes in clear bottles! as long as its kept stored in the dark, it doesn't skunk :)

Barley-Davidson said:
They're vampire bottles, treat them accordingly (no light, no holy water, no garlic).

:off:
How shttty is it that AB still prints the "from the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe..." when RR is none such any more? It bugs me... am I the only one?

It might bug me if RR wasn't such horrid, nasty swill. I'd drink Keystone over RR any day of the week. Hell, I'd drink OE800 first. Rolling Rock tastes like fermented skunk's musk.

So, for all I care, they can print "this here's the best beer in the world and it'll put hair on your chest and make your jimmy thicker". The reality is, it doesn't matter what the say on the bottle. It doesn't matter if it's from glass-lined tanks in Latrobe or turd-lined tanks in Hell---it's pretty much one of the worst beers on the market.

Evan! said:
It doesn't matter if it's from glass-lined tanks in Latrobe or turd-lined tanks in Hell---it's pretty much one of the worst beers on the market.

Does it still say that on the bottle, cause it ain't made there anymore.

Cool.

The only time my bottles see the light of day is when they are filled and when they are emptied. Otherwise, they sit in the concrete room under my porch.

malkore said:
Hell, newcastle comes in clear bottles! as long as its kept stored in the dark, it doesn't skunk :)
It's funny you say that. The other night, I bought a bottle of Newcastle and my friend and I did a taste test with my Newcastle clone. Visually the two beers were identical. Mine had more body, a touch less hops, and tasted MUCH fresher and lively. The genuine article seemed thin and stale in comparison. Most importantly, it was skunked...as I brought the glass to my mouth, the skunkiness was quite pronounced.

I still think the clear vs brown thing is a non-issue, unless you like to store your beer in the sun. Clearly though, this particular bottle of Newcastle had seen some sunshine in it's life.

I've got quite a few Newcastle bottles and I have no problem. Since I haven't converted my fridge into a kegerator yet it's not plugged in and I keep my bottles in there while carbing....No sun...No problem

I know this is an old thread but rolling rock being my favorite commercial beer I must step in. No it is not brewed in Latrobe anymore but the tanks and all supplies were bought and transferred to AB in st Lois where it is made now (NJ) tanks and recipe are same just new location... Furthermore no one can truly turn a nose on rolling rock they were the first company to introduce pony bottles�� which I think is ingenious I never drink a warm beer if I feel like nursing one. And it gave post depression men the affordability to drink beer as they could not always afford full beers they would ask for a pony and receive 7 oz of good beer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back