Japanese/asian hops (Humulus japonicus)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Priemus

Reaction score
I've spent the last 65 minutes 48 seconds (started at the kickoff to Germany Vs Argentina ) Looking for a definitive answer, but I cant find one, not in these forums, google or other.

Humulus japonicus.

I Got some of these seeds today, I can't find any information on their usability in beer making.

No A-acid, lupalin, recipes, nadda.

So, anyone ever tried growing these hops? or tried making beer with them?

Any idea on their suitability for bittering, flavouring, aroma?

Cant believe there is such little information about them.

(double post btw, my bad, also in hops growing, wanted best chance of it not being shunned ;) )

I don't think it's used in brewing, at least according to this:

http://www.calferm.org/edu/hops/Pedigree.htm

The hop, or Humulus lupulus (lupulus: a little wolf, alluding to the tenacity with which it clings to any support), is native to three major continents: Europe, Asia, and North America. Hops are classified in the plant family of Cannabaceae, which includes the genera Cannabis and Humulus . The genus Humulus includes two major species: Humulus lupulus and Humulus japonicus (an annual Japanese hop that produces few resin glands and is of no value to brewers). Hops grow best between 30 deg and 52 deg latitude.

Everything is used in brewing :p

Well, since you now have data that says it is of no value to brewing, the only thing left to do is to try it! That's what I would do anyway.

I would probably draw off 3/4 gallon of wort preboil from a pale ale recipe, and boil it seperately on your kicthen stove. Use the Japonicus hops in place of the other ones you wanted to use. This is not a 'fancy' way to do it, but if there is any flavour worth noting - you will find it when the beer is ready to drink.

No harm in trying!

Yeah, I did read while researching that it is considered a weed, but its a annual, it shouldnt resprout next year unless seeds hit the ground, I'll grow 3 seeds in plant pots inside and do that 1 gallon batch idea.

Ill let you guys know what happens, if anything, probably just alot of grassy flavours I guess.

But...you wont know for a few months ;)

As long as the OP doesn't mind having his yard infested with a worthless weed forever.

I absolutely agree - By "No harm in trying", I meant "It will be funny to hear how annoyed you may get from planting an invasive weed which has no value other than to take up space in a spot that could be used for actual brewing hops which would have only cost about $5 more but you were too cheap to buy actual brewing hops so you went for the seeds of a plant that would make a great privacy screen were it not a magnet for pests".

I guess I could have just said that. Always next time.

This is considered and invasive species in Wisconsin. It is infested down in the lower - western part of the state.

Did you ever try brewing with it?

I considered it an invasive weed as well, I have metric s***-loads of these dang plants around my house. I just never knew it was related to one of my favourite hobbies.

Yeah, don't plant them outside, please. They are invasive and can take up whole neighborhoods if left to their own device.

Wow I want some beer "hopped" w/some Cannabis!!!!!!! :tank:

It's about time someone got started on this family reunion. :mug:

Also, it should be noted that nettles are also a close relative and I've had good results brewing with them.

About a month back we won a small pack of homemade hard candy. They were shaped like those old-fashioned raspberry candies.

It had ingredients listed. One of the ingredients was nettle.

They were quite good.

Do you use nettles for bittering, or what?

It's an ingredient that was historically used in brewing (gruit), also a damn good tea and finding out it was related to hops was a bonus.

I haven't brewed using only nettles, but based on the gruit cocktail I'll make and the tea, I could see nettles being used as a dual purpose. The aromatics won't be that of hops, think more along the lines of brewing with heather in this respect. A clean mild bitterness and aroma from both of them, nowhere near the pungency associated with hops.

I and my tastebuds will have to do further research to find out. ;)

Don't mean to reboot an old thread, but any luck on using the Japanese hops?
They're invasive to my part of the United States, figured I could use them along with some other hops.
Did you use only Japanese hops, if so, what kind of flavors/aromas did it add to the beer; if used something else, what and did it enhance any hop flavor/aromas?

n3lson1: Any chance of getting a shipment of Japanese hops to Florida?

I would guinea pig the hell out of myself to find out and since there's been no updates, I suppose the only way to find out is to brew with them.

Ideas on how to approach it:
1. Using only Japanese Hops
2. Using Japanese Hops as Bittering and Traditional Hops as Aroma
3. Inverting #2
5. Using them alongside each other in equal proportions.

@ShoeBrew, have not come across any during my hikes. I have a buddy who is all about taking down invasive species and knows a couple of places to find them. When I get my hands on them, I'll probably attempt a 1 gallon Smash brew, 2-row and invasive hops.

Back