SMaSH recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
Is there a database somewhere on this website for SMaSH recipes? I can find some using the search function, but that really isn't efficient. Is there a collection of SMaSH recipes somewhere that I'm missing?

Thanks for the info. I've just poked my nose in their, and although I've found some recipes, it appears as though there are a lot more out there in the searchable function. So assume that not all SMaSH recipes dont find their way to the Enthusiasts group?

I don't understand what the point of a SMaSH recipe collection would be? I mean, simplicity is kind of the whole point of a SMaSH, no?

I really dont see your point. What does the simplicity of the recipe have to do with a collection of recipes?

There are a numerous number of grains to use, an even bigger number of hops and yeast to you....that leaves a huge number of possible combinations. Some work, and some dont. It would be good to know what combinations were really good.

Not everyone has the time or money to try every combination.

I really dont see your point. What does the simplicity of the recipe have to do with a collection of recipes?

There are a numerous number of grains to use, an even bigger number of hops and yeast to you....that leaves a huge number of possible combinations. Some work, and some dont. It would be good to know what combinations were really good.

Not everyone has the time or money to try every combination.

Not only that, but what about the hop schedule? Bittering, flavor, aroma, dry hop. A lot of variables.

I made a pale ale malt/Williamette Smash that is wonderful. A pale ale malt/Amarillo Smash is keg conditioning as I speak.

I've made a bazillion SMaSH's. One-gallon brews with all sorts of combinations. They're all good, as long as you use some basic common sense about your recipe - i.e. 150 IBU's with an SG of 1.040 and an FG of 1.005 is a bad idea. But really, SMaSH's are all about experimentation.

Basic boilerplate formula that will make a good smash with just about any malt and any aromatic hop:

-malt to ~1.060
-hop burst: equal size additions at 20 mins, 5 mins, 0 mins (steep in hot work for 20 mins) and dry hop. Use a recipe calculator to size your hop additions to yield about 40 IBU's.
-mash warm-ish. 155-158
-use an 'interesting' yeast. I'm in love with WY1272 for american ales at the moment. Ferment on the cool side of the yeast's working range

Following this general formula, I've had good success with all sorts of combinations. Any differences in my preferences I'd put to my own individual taste, but I do look back fondly on my Vienna/Columbus, Vienna/Simcoe, Special Aromatic/Cascade, Special Aromatic/Centennial, and 2-row/Zeus. I discovered that I'm not a fan of US Goldings, Amarillo or of German Hallertau when used as a late/dry hop (too lemony), though US Hallertau are OK.

Really, there's not much to say, it's all down to personal taste. There are no layers of flavours to conflict or balance in a SMaSH, so they pretty much all turn out well.

Smashes are usually my favorites, I haven't had a smash combination not work out yet... you just need to know how hoppy or malty you like your beer to be and brew it accordingly. I like malty beers, I generally just add a bittering addition and a modest dry hop. Don't foget about German ale yeasts, Belgians and lagers too. There's tons of combinations.

I did my first SMaSH on Sunday, Maris Otter/Cascade. I have been really curious about MO since I have never used it before and thought this would be a great way to learn about it. My hop schedule was 1 oz @60, 1.5 oz @30, 1 oz @ 15 and 1 oz at o, plus I am going to add 1.5 oz dry hop. I like hoppy beers and thought the nuttiness of the MO would mix well with the citrusy-ness (???) of the Cascade. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

Back