airlock question, again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady oaks

Reaction score
Have to ask, because if i don't, i'll surely do it wrong! When putting the airlock in, bubbler style, do i leave the top on the airlock or take it off? I would think leaving it off is the whole purpose of the airlock with, in this case, vodka in it.
Also, just looking at now, I noticed that most of the vodka has transferred to one bubble, or side. I have plenty more to post from this first brew today, but that's for a different subject.

You mean the little plastic screen? Leave it on. It keeps most bugs and dust from crawling/falling into it.

The "bubble" is just a sign that you have positive pressure in the fermenter, and a good seal. Those are good things.

Have to ask, because if i don't, i'll surely do it wrong! When putting the airlock in, bubbler style, do i leave the top on the airlock or take it off? I would think leaving it off is the whole purpose of the airlock with, in this case, vodka in it.

Yeah, leave it on. it has holes in it to let the gas out, but it will keep junk out of the liquid.

Also, just looking at now, I noticed that most of the vodka has transferred to one bubble, or side. I have plenty more to post from this first brew today, but that's for a different subject.

When there's positive pressure behind it, all of the liquid will be in the second bubble. As fermentation slows, it will fall back a bit, and only get forced back into the second bubble when there's enough pressure. This style of airlock is actually good in that respect, as you can really closely monitor what it is doing.

Cap should be on but it's not a big deal if it isn't. As stated, it's to keep bugs out of the liquid. The CO2 creeps out from under the lid.

Vodka to pushed to one side is good.

It's not so much a screen, as it a solid cap on top of the unit.

I went ahead and placed it on there. Thanks for the input.

hummm.. should be a solid cap with a buncha little tiny holes in it... ermm.. like a screen.....

If it's solid without holes.. then you'd better leave it off.... no sense makin airlock missiles! ;)

Some of them are just plastic caps (usually red) that sit on the airlock. The CO2 can get out just fine with the lid on.

yea there are little 'feet' in the bottom of the cap that keep it spaced from the column. Its not like the 3-piece ones with the holes in the clear/white cap.

Well I'll be diggered! I've never seen those.... well as long as gas gets out then it's a great thing!

I use vodka in my airlocks and have noticed it doesn't evaporate as quickly if I put the airlock lid on. Another plus.

Latest posts

Back