Taking an SG reading without aeration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gusizhuo

Reaction score
How do you take an SG rating without aerating your Must/Wort?

Also, how do you bottle with aeration? It seems almost impossible without some kind of specialized equipment.

First of all, I use a bottling bucket with a spicket at the bottom and a bottle filler. (view my setup in my gallery)

When filling bottles, you may be referring to the splash when you initially get when you push the filler into the bottom of the bottle. I solve this by raising the bottle to the height of just below the beer line and it will start pouring into the bottle with a gentle flow and as it begins flowing, I lower the bottle to cause it to fill faster. This prevents the initial splash or spray at the beginning of the fill.

As for taking a sample for a hydrometer reading, I go with the post above, I use a wine thief and drink the sample.:rockin:

What I did when it comes to bottling time (using a bottling bucket and a bottle filler), is to turn the spigot on, then using a 2 cup measuring cup half full of star-san, racked the first bit of wort into the cup. This got rid of the air in the line and kept the filler clean. After that I just racked away.

I also use a circa 1970 wood Coke bottle rack to hold my bottles, it holds 24 bottles completely stable and is great for capping.

I do primary in a bucket, and just sanitize my hydro thoroughly, then put it in, spin it, and take the reading.

for mead which is done in carboys, I bust out the wine thief.

not cranking open the spigot on the bottling bucket all the way, plus a bottle filler wand can basically prevent aeration when bottling.

Back