Some fermenting temperature questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got a few quick question to ask and am not sure if this should be in equipment or here. I am getting a nice little setup going in my basement (do the wort and such upstairs on the stove for now) but am worried about the temperature. I want to throw a chest freezer and maybe some refrigerators in the room that I use for brewing, but I am concerned about the heat given off by these machines. Lets say for example that I am using a chest freezer to lager some beer, but in this same closed door room I have some 1* buckets and some ale/wine carboys going. In the summers this temp has consistently been upper 60's and low 70's which doesn't concern me, but if I had a fridge going the temp would probably bump its self up a bit. I also would like to build some racks to age some wine and beer in here (until I decide if/where/when I would want a wine cellar) and am concerned about the temp wrecking my brew. How do you all with larger/complicated setups control the temperature of your brewing areas? Do you just cold ferment everything? For me that would not necessarily be preferred. What about chilling the room? Lets here some creative things that you guys have done to control your fermentation process.

There are several examples in the equipment area of fermentation rooms/sheds people have built. Basically heavily insulated spaces with a room A/C unit. Most use a temperature controller, rather than depend on the A/C unit's controls.

Buy an external temperature controller from Ranco and hook your freezer to it. This will maintain your set temperature and your freezer will not be on all the time. Your only cycling your freezer to maintain a warm 70 degrees.

:mug:

Depending on the size of your basement,and the number/age of your chillers, you may or may not have to worry about substantial temp increase. There's just no way to know for sure without info like: BTU/hr put off by freezer/fridges, cubic footage of the room, insulation values, air infiltration rate etc.

I say do it all, it sounds like it's going to be a great setup! Just be prepared to buy a small AC unit if you need to. They sell free standing units with duct hoses to get outside if you don't have the window option.

Back