Leaky High Pressure Gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ace_Club

Reaction score
So, just got my kegging system set up and woke up this morning to a high pressure gauge reading zero. Here's the background:

1) The regulator has been hooked up to the tank for a couple weeks. I noticed a slow leak previously and removed the HP gauge and added some teflon tape and reinstalled. Hit it with some CO2 and it maintained pressure (with the tank valve shut) for weeks.
2) Last night I hooked up everything to the keg setup and had a couple brews. Shut the tank valve and left the isolation valve on the regulator to the keg open. This morning, the HP gauge was reading 0 but the LP gauge was still reading 10 psi (which is where it was last night). Lifted relief valve on keg and it is still pressurized just fine.

So, what could cause the HP gauge to drop to zero, especially since it held pressure fine for son long previously? And if there was a leak at the keg, why was the LP gauge unaffected? :confused:

So, just got my kegging system set up and woke up this morning to a high pressure gauge reading zero. Here's the background:

1) The regulator has been hooked up to the tank for a couple weeks. I noticed a slow leak previously and removed the HP gauge and added some teflon tape and reinstalled. Hit it with some CO2 and it maintained pressure (with the tank valve shut) for weeks.
2) Last night I hooked up everything to the keg setup and had a couple brews. Shut the tank valve and left the isolation valve on the regulator to the keg open. This morning, the HP gauge was reading 0 but the LP gauge was still reading 10 psi (which is where it was last night). Lifted relief valve on keg and it is still pressurized just fine.

So, what could cause the HP gauge to drop to zero, especially since it held pressure fine for son long previously? And if there was a leak at the keg, why was the LP gauge unaffected? :confused:

Its possible that the Bourdon tube inside the gauge is damaged.ALot of gauges on the market for homebrew splys are garbage see link where you can buy a quality gauge

http://www.wikagauges.com/?gclid=CLGGi8X-zp8CFQUeDQodpzvVHA

Its possible that the Bourdon tube inside the gauge is damaged.ALot of gauges on the market for homebrew splys are garbage see link where you can buy a quality gauge

http://www.wikagauges.com/?gclid=CLGGi8X-zp8CFQUeDQodpzvVHA

That may be, although since they seem to read okay, I'm guessing the tubes are fine. I thought about this for a while, and think that what happened was that since the keg was naturally carbed, when I left the gauge connected to the keg, the pressure just started equalizing. Since the tank valve was shut, this meant that the pressure came from the HP gauge and that's why the LP gauge was still showing a reading.

That may be, although since they seem to read okay, I'm guessing the tubes are fine. I thought about this for a while, and think that what happened was that since the keg was naturally carbed, when I left the gauge connected to the keg, the pressure just started equalizing. Since the tank valve was shut, this meant that the pressure came from the HP gauge and that's why the LP gauge was still showing a reading.

Maybe a regulator issue then.

Back