Using Ginger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordiepete

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what method I could use to add root ginger to my brew, I don't want too much of a ginger flavour in there, more of a mild hint of ginger if you know what I mean. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I was gonna experiment with adding 2 or 3 ozs at flameout and steeping it for awhile, use one of those tea ball things to get it out easily. I figured either that or steeping the grated root in a pint or so of hot (like right below boiling) water and adding the water to the wort in the primary would work, but I'd love to hear other ways of doing it if anybody has some

I know a guy that brewed the most amazing ginger flavored beer I've ever tasted. He didn't want to give up too much about it, but he did say that he used ginger in both the kettle and secondary.

TL

FWIW, in the book Radical Brewing, Randy Mosher reccomends using candied ginger. He claims that it is "milder, and purer-tasting than fresh (ginger)."

He also mentions a ginger tea concentrate that can be found in some asian markets.

We just brewed the Shakemantle Ginger from either Clone Brews or Beer Captured, I don't remember which. I think it was Beer Captured.

That recipe called for an once and a half at the boil and a half ounce in the secondary.

I just got to try it, I thought it would be far too mild. As it turns out, it has a pleasant ginger aroma and a nice refreshing ginger taste without any ginger "bite". If you were looking for stronger ginger flavor, in terms of "bite" I would go double or triple the recipe. I would try with less first, it would be easy to go overboard with ginger.

I will say that the Shakemantle Ginger was plenty of ginger for me. A very simple beer that is nicely refreshing and will go good with ginger based Asian dishes.

Gedvondur

Do you do full boils??? It's like hops that way, the utilization is greater with full boils than with partial boils. It's easy to go overboard.

Flame out would be ideal for the fresh ginger. Up at school I made a ginger ice cream and steeped the ginger in the cream for a good portion of the time while it was getting to a scald. Made the cream very bitter and unlikable. In a beer it might not be bad, especially in an IPA or ESB, but you lose a lot of the natural sweetness. Secondary would work as well but I wouldn't add it right away. Maybe half way though.

I've used candied ginger and fresh ginger. I would never use candied ginger again. I've found 1 ounce of fresh ginger, grated works well in the secondary for a background flavor.

Back