Heading to Siebel Institute in November

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefJoeR

Reaction score
I am heading up to the Siebel Institute November 28th - 30th for their "Start Your Own Brewery" course. Is anyone going to be doing this as well or has anyone taken this course and can offer some insight to what will take place? Also, wouldn't mind getting a brew with some of you locals. Or if anyone is coming up for this class, would you be interested in splitting a room for the duration? Right now I am going to be staying with one of my wife's friends, but would feel more comfortable not treating this person's house as a motel. Let me know who's interested. Thanks. My email is [email protected].

How was this course? I'm taking the WBT Cosise course this summer and thinking about the Starting a Brewery course in June or November.

As far as the course goes, I wasn't too happy about it. what I mean is, it was not what I thought it was going to be. I went in with the impression that it was going to be very business oriented in that there will be financial discussions, real estate discussions, business plan formulation, etc.. What it actually turned out to be was pretty much a sales seminar. While I did get some great information and have a hot line direct to some of the brewers and an agent with the TTB, I still felt disappointed. Most of the speakers that came up did talk about their experience, but did not touch upon what the curriculum promised. For instance, the class titled "Business Plan Formulation" had a brewer that pretty much just "winged" it to their brewery. When asked what they valued their company to gain investors, they replied "$1,000,000". When asked why, they replied "because it sounded good to our investors." I don't know about, but I am not sure who is the fool in that business situation, the one who is doing the work, or the one who is investing the work. If you take the WBT Concise Course, you may find a lot of the information given, to be the same. While I am not writing off this course, because I hope they are revamping it since it just recently started, I do believe you can gain better insight by talking with brewers and more importantly accountants. If you just want to brew, then go learn how to brew, but if you want to own a business, then take business courses. That just my advice, but definitely do your research. I hope this gives you some ideas, if you what to pick my brain further, email me at [email protected]

Latest posts

Back