Recipe Development with Homegrown Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
So how do you guys do it? My initial idea was to only use my homegrown cascade for flavor, aroma, basically for dryhopping, since I have no idea what the AA% is. Now that I'm thinking of getting something like centennial, which is pretty good for bittering, I'm wondering how I can figure out if I'm close to the IBUs I want... ideas?

I personally haven't done it, but how I think I'll proceed in the future is to use a mid average of the normal AA rating for the strain itself in the recipes. I ordered some Brewer's Gold rhizomes this morning, yipee.

Right, one just estimates. All I have planted are flavor and aroma hops, unless you count Mt. Hood. I'll only used homegrown for bittering in ales that are on the low side anyway.

If you figure 12% for Columbus and shoot for 80 IBU, a 1% error gives you a range of 74-86 IBU.

Back