7.9 gal. bucket fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamburglar

Reaction score
Im going to be brewing a higher gravity beer so I bought a larger bucket with more headspace just to be safe in case the yeast decide to go crazy. I don't transfer to secondary and just leave beer in the primary(about a month) until im ready to bottle. Do I have to worry about the extra headspace causing any oxidation to the beer?
Thanks.

I am doing the same thing, higher gravity and higher volume (6 gallons, 5 beer and 1 juice) and I am glad I did there was so much co2 build up that the lid crowned from the pressure.

Agree with MBasile. Also, you have the added benefit of being able to make larger batches of normal gravity beer --or wine if you ever get into that.

once the beer is fermenting it's constantly pushing CO2 out so you're not going to get oxygen in there. for me, a blow off tube is a must with high gravity beers in a plastic bucket. if the lid blows off, you'll have a serious mess to clean up. so yeah, blow off tube

Back