Late Addition Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squigley

Reaction score
I have been recently experimenting with late extract additions...it seems to achieve a much better color for the style of beer. In general, I've been adding about 1/4 of the extract at the beginning of the boil, and then 3/4 with 15-20 min to go. Couple of questions:

-Does this seem like good timing/ratios?

-I am wondering about timing the boil. When you add so much extract, it obviously takes 5-10 min after adding to get the wort back up to boiling. I've been including that time in the total 60 min, because I assume you're quite near boiling the entire time (probably above 200 degrees). Is that correct to get proper hop utilization out of the bitting hops?

Any other theories on late extract additions, or other advantages besides color? I assume it probably improves the flavor as well, since there is likely to be less carmelization.

You don't have to boil the late additions for 20 minutes,much less at all. LME & DME have already been put through all that. And pasteurization happens well below 212F boiling point. It happens about 162F! So you can get lighter color better flavor & a bit less time by adding late extracts at flame out & stir till completely mixed. Cover & let steep 15 minutes,as it's still 180F+ & will pasteurize well on it's own.

Thanks for the feedback. In that case, since I'd be letting it steep for 15 min prior to cooling, should I subtract 15 min from the boil time? And would you then add your aroma/flavoring hops at or after flameout?

No,it's still a 1 hour boil. Flavor hopping is about the last 25 minutes of the boil. Aroma is said to be the last 5 minutes,but that never works very well for me. Much less flame out aroma additions. I skip all that & dry hop for the best aroma.

I did my first late addition on a cream and it still came out sort of amber. I just did another cream with flame out addition and it came out nicely, the way I expected and I didn't get that "taste" either.

I split mine half at the beginning and half with about 15 minutes left, before I put in my IC to sanitize. I was making an Irish Red, so can't say much for the color, the steeping grains did that, but I don't have any hint of the "extract" taste. I'll do something similar for my next batch as well.

If you have a copy of Brewing Classic Styles, there is a method in there for calculating the amount of extract to add at the beginning and at flame-out. It has been my experience that for most beers, it works out to about a 50/50 split (or close enough that I don't care to worry about it).

I add it at the true end of the boil, not 10-15 minutes before. As noted above, extract really doesn't need boiled.

As you note, it takes about 5-10 minutes to get the wort back up to a boil after adding the late extract addition - why not put that temperature drop to good use? Add it at the end, mix it up, and add any flame out hops, whirlpool, and start chilling. Since doing that, I've noticed that it takes me less time to chill to pitching temperature - because the late extract drops the temperature of the wort instantly.

I add my extract over the course of the last 15 minutes. In my last few beers, I usually have 4 lbs of dry extract to add. I add it slowly so that I don't have to chop up a 3-lb DME rock.

I add it at the true end of the boil, not 10-15 minutes before. As noted above, extract really doesn't need boiled.

I don't add it because it needs to be boiled, I also know how this is going to sound, but I add it to make sure it dissolves easily and cause I'm a little lazy the boil helps in making sure it gets mixed in well.:mug:

i add mine in the last 5 min with no color difference from a 15-20 late addition. keep in mind that you will get better hop utilization from late addition anyhow, and if you use all the hops in the kit you will get more bitterness. i don't worry about the last 5-10 min of boil for hop utilization.

Back