Determining Style for Recipe Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemkrafty

Reaction score
Hey folks...

My parents really enjoyed the Aussie Light Ale from Midwest Supplies. I am going to borrow and tweak the recipe but am having an issue trying to characterize the style. What would you guys characterize this recipe as? I have a guess but don't want to taint your thought processes.

Grain Bill:
Pilsner 3.50 lbs (87%)
Cara-pils 0.25 lbs (6%)
Crystal 10L 0.25 lbs (6%)

Hops:
0.5 oz Tradition (1 hr)
0.5 oz Tradition (2 min)

Yeast:
They used some american ale I believe...I'm going with S-05.

Ready...set...go!

EDIT: This is for a 2.5 gal batch!

took a look at midwest's website. the recipe is actually

3.5# pilsner LME
1.0# light DME
(replace the above with 7lbs of pilsner malt for all grain)
0.5# carapils
0.5# Crystal 10L

there's 1.5oz of Tradition in it. I am assuming that 1oz is @60min and the other 0.5oz is at 2min like you listed.

That's pretty much a pale ale. It's on the low end (maybe even dipping a little below) of the style for IBU, color, and gravity, but it's a pale ale.

Extra Pale Ale?

edit: just realized that the recipe you posted might be your tweaked version of the original (whereas I posted midwest's actual recipe)? If so, yours would be Super Duper Extra Very Pale Ale.

Specs of the recipe you posted:

OG = 1.028
IBU = 13 (using default aa of 4.5% for tradition in promash)
SRM = 2.7

It'll be a extremely weak beer, but if that's what you're after then go for it.

HAAA!!!

I forgot to mention that I am doing a 2.5 gal batch to test it out! Not like that's a crucial detail or anything...

Hmmm...and here I was thinking Blonde. I guess I didn't think it was hoppy enough for a pale, but that's why I asked.

Back