What did I do wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IwanaBrich

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I started my first batch wine using a Winepert Selection Original Series Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon Kit. I followed the instructions to the letter and while it was fermenting I noticed a "sulfurish" odor. I was concerned at the time, posted a question and some of you folks recommended I stir some air into the fermenting wine...which I did and odor stopped. I bottled it on Jan 30, 2010, well I just cracked open a bottle and it has an odd taste and wasn't that good. Any thoughts on what went wrong? I've been brewing beer for 15 years and I've never had a batch I couldn't drink... I was thinking of trying again....posibly a white wine...any recommendations??

I can't say it tasted like sulfur, cause I don't know what that tastes like. Well it wasn't anything like green beer, I can say that. To me Green beer tastes sort of yeasty...this is nothing like that. What does "green" Cabernet taste like?

Forget beer - this is wine. "Green" wine is wine that hasn't aged enough to mellow and become smooth. However, I don't think that is your problem, as most of those wine kits are made to be drunk in a very short time.

Where did you get the kit? Maybe you could take a sample in to them and they could help you trouble shoot?

Forget BEER!!!!! Never! :)

Is it normal for fermenting Cabernet Sauvignon to give of a Sulfur odor?

If not could this sulfur odor have caused the "off" taste?

I will go back to where I bought the kit, but I'm waiting an other month of so to crack open another bottle.

No ...no tangy taste

Yes, I degassed the wine.....I used a drill attachment I bought from my local home brewing store. It seemed to work well.

showprodimage.php

Back