Natural History Museum help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
I live just outside Saint Louis, MO and we don't have a natural history museum. I loved going to the one in Denver when I was a kid and would love to take my kids to one. Does anyone know any good ones in the Midwest? Is there one up in chi-town? I would rather not go to Chicago but hell if that's what it takes?

I found one in the Midwest, somewhere out in Illinois, but it seems really small.

Thanks

The Field Museum in Chicago is pretty cool. If you make a weekend out of the trip then you can go to the newly renovated Shedd Aquarium, Museum of Science and Industry, any of the Art museums of Lincoln Park or Brookfield Zoo. There really are a lot of great family friendly attractions in the Chicago area. The Field museum has a pirates exhibit going on right now that awesome and I highly recommend it. I've pretty much been to all the the zoos, aquariums, and museums around Chicago fairly recently because of where I work I get free entry to all of them. Feel free to PM me or post if you have any other questions.

Yep there is a Museum of Natural History up in Chicago, it's actually a pretty good one. It right by a aquarium and the Museum of Science and Industry (really good), plus it's right around where Soldier Field is where the Bears play.

These are all along Lake Michigan, good trip well worth it.

I have never been to Chicago, all I hear about is how horrible it is traffic wise to get in and out of the city. I really hate crazy traffic, is it that bad or do people blow it out of proportion? Any tricks to come in from another way to get to the museum?

I'm not gonna lie there is a lot of traffic but lots of that can be avoided using public transportation or smart maneuvering. Parking is troublesome around museum campus (where Shedd, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are). There are some spots on the street but they get filled quickly. Another option is to park at the Soldier Field parking garage for $10-15 depending on the day. As for getting to the museum itself it isn't that bad for traffic if you come in through I-55 to Lake Shore Drive. It is only about a mile north of where I-55 ends. If you are staying the weekend I highly recommend public transportation. It can take you pretty much wherever you want to go. Plus kids get a kick off of riding the train, the L or the bus. Its a different experience for them.

Back