Co-workers don't listen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
My Co-worker quoted a job and his numbers are way off. I told him his budget wasn't feasible and he doesn't listen. In fact the quoted budget is WAY off. This really irked me and I had to rant/post to see if others encounter the same.

This is not the first time people at work have not listened to me. Anyone else have to deal with this?

For that matter, any of you older and wiser fellows have advice to help make co-workers listen to your opinion? I don't know if this has to do with my relatively young age or not. They just seem to dismiss my comments. I've been correct on many occassions and it would have saved them plenty to listen to me.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the rant lol.

Haha, maybe they do say that. However, since I'm not really near the top of the totem I don't have much choice and just do what they say since they don't listen to me. They then have to swim in their own mistakes...

I get that stuff all the time. Some people just won't listen, or just can't figure out what you tell them. Sometimes you'll be wrong 1/10 you tell them something while they're right and they use it to justify discrediting you all the time in their mind.

You need to find that right person towards the top that is smart and will listen. You don't need to go harping to them that you were right, just be sure in their ear you put out your opinions on a topic before a decision is made. When the wrong decision is made and backfires, you can't take the blame.

Thats what you have to watch out for. The sh*t rolling down hill and you getting the blame for other's poor decisions. I've been lucky not to have to deal with this at work, mostly because I find the right people to pitch ideas to.

Sadly it's a very small company and talking to the right person is not really possible. They all seem to be as uncaring about my opinion as each other. I don't really point out when I was right or anything since I don't want to be an ass. Maybe I should start subtly hinting.

It's good to know that others can understand this...it's frustrating.

Sadly it's a very small company and talking to the right person is not really possible. They all seem to be as uncaring about my opinion as each other. I don't really point out when I was right or anything since I don't want to be an ass. Maybe I should start subtly hinting.

It's good to know that others can understand this...it's frustrating.

Sounds like you need a better company :drunk:

My Co-worker quoted a job and his numbers are way off. I told him his budget wasn't feasible and he doesn't listen. In fact the quoted budget is WAY off. This really irked me and I had to rant/post to see if others encounter the same.

This is not the first time people at work have not listened to me. Anyone else have to deal with this?

For that matter, any of you older and wiser fellows have advice to help make co-workers listen to your opinion? I don't know if this has to do with my relatively young age or not. They just seem to dismiss my comments. I've been correct on many occassions and it would have saved them plenty to listen to me.

Anyway, thanks for listening to the rant lol.

I've been trying to get mgt to put a block on the thermostat for years; nothing drastic, just a little 50 cent or $1 piece of metal that screws into the thing. Costs about $1 & takes about 1 minute to install by somebody competent enough to operate a manual screwdriver.

The thermostat is constantly turned way up, to about 75*F in the winter, I've seen it as high as 90*F, not kidding. I explain how cheap the fix is & how it can & will save the company money, but I always get the same crap responses: "so & so gets cold" well tell so & so to put on a sweater, I do; or "put it in a proposal" that WAS the proposal. I'm not spending 30 minutes typing up a verbose "proposal" of what I just said. So the company wastes energy & money... Personally, I think they should be taking my advice & thanking me that I'm not billing them for it. The world is full of worthless bastards & a lot of them work where I do.

Well that's my 2 cents worth/related rant. Regards, GF.

Where I used to work they had covers on the programmable thermostats and they would turn down at night and on weekends and only start up right before the work day. The result? People running heaters under their desks...

Where I work now, pretty much each office has it's own thermostat and I run mine where I like it. If I get cold, I just walk into the lady next door who keeps hers at "Caribbean" all the time! ;)

So you're saying I should get back at them and mess with the thermostat eh? I like your thinking.

Back