Sourdough Starter in Pseudo-Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacticacid

Reaction score
Would using a cup of sourdough starter instead of pitching lacto work in a lower gravity beer, pitch it a day or so before pitching an ale yeast? Or might it be better suited to use in a kvass of sorts?

Would using a cup of sourdough starter instead of pitching lacto work in a lower gravity beer, pitch it a day or so before pitching an ale yeast? Or might it be better suited to use in a kvass of sorts?

Old thread, yes, just thought I'd add to it that the strain of yeast in most sourdough does not break down maltose, the predominant sugar in our wort. So that answer is likely NO, a sourdough starter won't work for a berliner weisse. Note that the sourdough starter also has lactobacillus, which is required for the sour beer. Prolly the bacteria would do most of the fermenting and it would end up a very sour beer.

(I just made a sourdough from a saved berliner weisse culture, and was looking for a previous post I made on this subject and found this one.)

Sorry for the exhumation.

Back