Poor Man's Evolving Brewstand Build: 2 Year Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chs9

Reaction score
The Poor man's Evolving Brewstand Build: 2 Year Plan
From nothing to single tier HERMS/RIMS/BRUTUS

Alright Team HBT,

After many hours of surfing the forums I have decided I want to build a HERMS, RIMS, or BRUTUS from my existing no-tier 2 burner system. However, I'm a poor student and my paychecks require that this project takes ~2 years. Construction will occur in phases, with each phase adding a small improvement to the system. The equipment additions will be fully compatible with the goal system so as to minimize wasted parts, time, and money.

All suggestions are welcome. I know I'm not the only student on here who would like a badass home brewery but doesn't want to save up 5 grand in order to build it all in one month, so I'm hoping others may be able to find this project plan useful. I don't intend on it being luxurious, but at all stages it will be functional. Phases will be better researched as they approach.

In summary...

Project Goals:

- Go from what I have to a single tier, pump driven, cart mounted, automated(?), system.
- Progress in several stages of improvement
- Never lose the ability to brew while waiting on an update: IE, many small improvements over time.
- Once a part is bought it must not become obsolete at a later stage.
- 10 gal capacity

Current Setup:

- 2x SQ-14 Bayou Classic Burners
- 2x Propane Tanks
- 1x 10 Gal Igloo Beverage Cooler MLT w/ BargainFittings.com conversion and perforated steel false bottom
- 2x Converted Sanke Keggles w/ BargainFittings.com weldless conversion
- 20', 3/8" diameter copper tube immersion chiller
- Some silicon tube

While I want all additions to be compatible with the final system, I realize some of these will have to be switched out.

Phase 1: Current Setup
Basically, this is a basic gravity-driven system using my concrete stoop, some cinderblocks, and a little bit of heavy lifting to transport the wort. All equipment needs to be moved out of my shed and situated on each brewday. The keggle HLT is placed on the (from top to bottom) burner/cinderblock/stoop. The cooler MLT is on the stoop and the BK keggle is on the ground. After the sparge, it's lifted onto a burner right next to it to start cooking.

So, the question is how to proceed from here. All suggestions are appreciated, especially regarding the progression and equipment selection. In all phases, please note that excessive consumption of homebrew is implicit. I'll add some pictures within the next few weeks.

:mug: :tank: :mug:

Phase 2: Thermometers, sightglasses, insulation.
**Incomplete**

Keggle HLT will receive a thermometer, sightglass, and insulation. Cooler MLT will receive a thermometer. Keggle BK will receive insulation. Maybe welded in immediately, might as well get to know a welder sooner rather than later.

Pretty basic.

Phase 3: Adding the Pump
**Complete**

This gravity setup is too tall for my liking and involves lifting a keg full of wort, so I'd like to add a pump first to fix both of these problems. I'm thinking of a march 809H pump from the likes of MoreBeer or NB or BrewmastersWarehouse. Brass quick disconnects and silicon tubing. QD inputs and outputs will be attached to all three vessels. Welded to keggles most likely. 2 QD hoses will be made.

I realize brass QD's get hot, but as I understand it they're much cheaper than plastic. I'm considering the following:

Male QD to 1/2 male NPT thread: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K59
Female QD to 1/2 hose barb: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K64
Alternately use a 90 degree Female QD: http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=6739K68

Price is right, I like the elbow option too. Suggestion taken from this post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/quick-disconnects-high-temp-tubing-113216/

At this point, the setup will be inline (single tier) on my porch: HLT on burner on stoop, BK on burner on stoop, and MLT on the stoop. The pump itself will be unmounted, maybe bolted to a board for stability.

Equipment:
March Pump
2x lengths of 1/2" ID silicon tube (5 ft each?)
2x female QD's for tubes
3x male QD's for vessels

Phase 4: Chilling
**Incomplete**

Addition of Shirron plate chiller. Wort will be pumped, water will be forced through via the garden hose spigot next to the porch. QD's will need to be added to the chiller. A 3rd QD hose will need to be made.

Current setup requires this goofy 3 tier ice bucket -> immersion chiller -> yard system. Not awesome.

If I don't make it past this phase I will be happy.

EDIT: After some thought, I don't think a plate chiller is the way I want to go. I don't know if you're familiar with New Mexico, but it's balls hot in the summer, which means our hose water is atleast 80 F (without actually measuring it). So new plan: recirculating ice water chiller. Pros: we already have the immersion chiller and chest cooler (~60 qts?). Just need to add some garden hoses and a pond pump and we're good to go. At the moment we use a gravity fed ice bucket system where we keep filling it with water to keep it growing. It's super wasteful. So, we'll be reusing the hot water that comes out of the chiller. Less ice efficient, more water efficient. Definitely a net decrease in water usage. The thread I'm looking at is linked to below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/recirculating-ice-water-chiller-38235/

Phase 5: Construction of Basic Cart
**Incomplete**

This is way down the road, not well planned at the moment.

Part A: Settle on a build - RIMS/HERMS/BRUTUS

Part B: Welded Cart w/ heavy duty, off-road wheels.

Part C: Weld in burners. Still powered by dual propane tanks.

Part D: Add gas lines, single propane tank system.

Phase 6: Advanced Cart Construction
**Incomplete**

Haven't even though about it yet.

Basically, add any electronics. Add a second pump. Depends on HERMS/RIMS/BRUTUS decision.

Excellent idea and plan. It sounds like you are well on your way to accomplishing your goal. I'd say the next thing to buy would be a pump. The thought being that your three future possibilities (RIMS, HERMS or BRUTUS) rely on having at least one pump. Also the pump can be used regardless of what (if any) stand you use.
Pump in hand, I'd think the next logical step would be to either build your cart or decide on which method you want to use and start collecting pieces (e.g. RIMS tube or HERMS coil).

I bet you'll do all of these in less than 2 years...this hobby has a way of getting into your head :D

I bet you'll do all of these in less than 2 years...this hobby has a way of getting into your head
You can say that again ScubaSteve...I really don't want to sit down and tally up what I've spent in the last year on brewing (especially since I went to all grain last summer....)

You can say that again ScubaSteve...I really don't want to sit down and tally up what I've spent in the last year on brewing (especially since I went to all grain last summer....)

I know what you mean. I just finished my AG setup and haven't even brewed with it, yet here I am planning my magnum opus.

Plan updated. First AG brew day went flawlessly. We brewed a nut brown dubbed "Socorro Nut Brown". Target OG: 1.049, Measured OG: 1.050. I believe that puts us at about 75% efficiency, as that's the Target OG calculated for a 75% efficiency system. We have alot of dead space in the BK and HLT, but it's nothing a little pipe won't fix. Pictures will be tonight.

Latest posts

Back