Hi all from the UK! Just started brewing! - and have some problems!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKalcoholic

Reaction score
Hi all! Glad to finally chat to some other like-minded people, who share the homebrew hobby!

I have recently managed to brew my first batch of real ale with no problems other that the ale tasted a bit "yeasty" is the best way i can describe it at the moment, not being an expert yet! But that was a good batch, went down smoothly and got me and my mates pretty pissed, or rat-arsed as we say here in the UK!!

Anyway....so I thought I’d try some larger! and I’ve used the same method, taken even more care this time about sterilisation, and contamination than last time, with the intent of making a nice larger with no yeasty taste.

But the problem with the larger I have made is it doesn’t taste right! not being an expert I am not sure how to describe it. I guess I could say it is not a larger taste, but a sharp taste, it’s got an edge to it, I’m not sure what I can say. it looks very nice and clear but it is not a golden yellow ( as I know larger should be) but it is a dark yellow almost brown in colour. Can anyone suggest what I did wrong so I can make a nice larger next time? To be honest I don’t enjoy drinking the first pint of this batch, but it gets progressively easier the more I drink lol (i wonder why?)lol....:mug:

It would be a nice thought, to maybe have a lunchtime pint on a hot day, and enjoy it, rather than having to have about three before I don’t mind the flavour!! any suggestions? get a free pint of beer! :mug: lol

Here is what I did in short...

1. Put all the ingredients in a tub with bottled water this time instead of tap (i thought this would save me time boiling up all the water and letting it cool for mixing).

2. Let it all ferment for 8 days between 18 and 21 deg Celsius in a sealed tub.

3. Mixed in a packet of beer finings, let that setting for 2 days in the big tub.

4. Then siphoned it to bottles (some plastic some glass) each with half spoon sugar at the bottom of each. all bottles sterilised, and siphon was started with the sterile fluid in it already, so the beer just had to push it out the rest of the way before I started bottling up.

4. Left it to settle for 14 days in my kitchen on a table (maybe I made a mistake here, maybe it should be in a cold room with no light?)

And before I drink them I put what I would like to drink in the fridge to cool down for a few hours first.

Where am I going wrong - this is only my second batch, and id like my third to be good! third time luck maybe!

regards from the UK! Ben :rockin:

Welcome! I agree with Orfy that you'll get a better audience in the Beginner's forum, but I can tell you right now that lagers take more time than that. Have fun with it!

TL

Latest posts

Back