Slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have my first batch fermenting now. I had an initial gravity of1.041. After 8 days in the primary bubbleing was about 1/30seconds so I racked to a secondary. The racking was a bit toublesome with the autosiphon. It was a bit slow and stopped at one point so I ended up using it as a hand pump for about 1/3 of a gallon before I could get it started again. It never seemed to bubble much in the secondary and 5 days into it I counted one small bubble in mayby 10 minutes.
The gravity is 1.18 and hasnt changed much if at all in the last 5 days. Can I still bottle in aboout a week (after two weeks in the secondary). A 1.18 gravity seems awefully high and a good recipie for a bottle bomb.
Thanks for any advice.:mug:

density 1.018 you mean...

could you give more info about the recipe. 1.018 sounds a bit high but I wonder what extract you used and what grains. Is it possible that you have a lot of unfermentables?

anyways if after 2 weeks the density has not changed, I would bottle.

That is really high for a SG of 1.041. I would repitch with a packet of dried yeast. Maybe raise the temperature a few degrees as well.

Oh wow ok. I was really trying to keep the temp down. When I checked this morning it was at 66 F. The yeast is white labs' dusseldorf alt yeast which has an attenuation of 65-72 and an optimum fermentation of 65-69.

It looks like you are in the right temp range. (Higher temps ferment faster, cooler temp slower...just like molasses). Perhaps you are just being impatient?:eek: It's the curse of the new brewer.:D

One way to overcome that is to brew 3 or 4 batches and allow them the time to ferment out. Depending on what styles you brew batch #4 can be done before #2.:D

I have 5 brews going right now. I can bottle two of them today if I get around to it.:D

Cool, I dont mind waiting I just dont want bottle bombs. How long do you usually have it in the secondary before bottling?

Back