.....and so it begins....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoyScout

Reaction score
The Dream - To have beer on tap at home

I've begun the process of making a kegerator, which to some of you may seem like no big deal. To me though this is going to be a major accomplishment....lol. I'm not exactly what you'd call handy, and up until just a few short years ago had never actually touched a power tool in my entire life. Not even to move it from Point A to Point B, so the thought of having to drill holes through a fridge without breaking the cooling lines, etc. is going to be fun.

So here's the keg (plan on picking up a 2nd one today

keg.jpg

And the shiny new fridge

keg6.jpg

Removed the shelves

keg7.jpg

Took out the door insert

keg10.jpg

Now I have an empty fridge

keg4.jpg

Going to have to unhook and move this somewhere else as it's going to be in the way once I drill a hole for the tower, but it can wait as for now I only have the little temporary taps

keg3.jpg

Got this done when I noticed a couple of problems, without the door insert the fridge light stays on all the time. Grabbed the handy roll of duck tape and took care of that, but will need to either dismantle that switch or find a more permanent solution. Sigh

keg2.jpg

Another issue, without the door insert the rubber gasket around the fridge door doesn't seal properly, not even after duck taping the crap out of it

keg1.jpg

keg5.jpg

So now I'm going to need to buy some tools.....was hoping I could get away with duct tape and a screw driver for now but guess I'm going to need a saw of some sort and a drill as well.
Need a saw so I can either saw this up to remove the excess

keg8.jpg

keg9.jpg

Or I'm going to need to buy some really thin strapping of some sort to help hold the gasket on.

Well, it's a start at any rate......more to come as the project continues......

If you have no tools, a good Dremel kit is a damn handy thing to have... And it's the perfect solution for cutting out the thermostat to make room for the hole for your tower.

A Dremel is one of those tools that may only be used a few times a year, but the jobs for which it's designed, it's the absolute best thing in the world to have.

A Dremel tool has now been added to my list of tools, can get a basic 7 pc set at Canadian Tire for $60. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Back