Post lager fermentation , skimming low krausen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GilaMinumBeer

Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Occasionally I go back and re-read specific portions of books, pertaining to the brew at hand, to re-familiarize myself with recommended techniques.

Of particular interest, this re-read, is Noonan's suggestion to skim the Krausen after fermentation when it has subsided to a low krausen and just before it drops into the beer completely. He cites the reasoning behind this as a potential for harsh flavors to drop into the beer if not done.

I checked my most recent lager and while it has begun it's regression toward low krausen, it has a little ways to go yet.

From there he suggests two method for the Diacetyl rest. One being much longer than the typical raise the temp method.

Who else has read this and applied the suggestion? Were your result of the Krausen skimming benificial as the author suggests or was it a waste of time?

Just curious.

Assuming you're talking about New Brewing Lager Beer, I've read it several times and vaguely remember the skimming part, but don't recall the 2 methods of diacetyl rest part. For skimming, I hear differing viewpoints on this. Of course many German breweries do this and claim it makes the hop bitterness less "harsh" and I'm sure there is scientific reasoning to it, but I also think that the lagering process would help reduce harshness. I just heard Chris Colby on Basic Brewing Radio raise question with this, saying that it may just make the beer a little less bitter in general, rather than a difference in "harshness". I've never skimmed and none of my lagers have been "harsh" that I notice.

Thanks for the reply.

I was a little taken back reading this as I have never skimmed either and haven't noticed any ills but, was considering it as it "may" be a key to getting my lagers to the next "level".

As for the rest bit, he suggests a long drawn out rest (weeks) at slightly warmer temps than the typical D-rest (I too have already forgotten the details) of 1 week or so at room temp.

Latest posts

Back