Kölsch I Think I'm Turning German-ese

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverseMonk

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
1000ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 65F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days free rise to 72F
Additional Fermentation
21 days @ 52F
Tasting Notes
Somewhat delicate. Rye spice is evident, herbal-lemon from Sorachi Ace.
Hey All,
Just wanted to share a recipe that I was really excited about what I wrote it, and am now even more excited about since pulling the first couple of glasses last night. Its a Rye Kolsch (German), hopped with only Sorachi Ace (Japanese), thus German-ese.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 5.75 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal

5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) 44.1 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) 26.5 %
3 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 26.5 %
5.3 oz Acid Malt (3.0 SRM) 2.9 %

0.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 11.5 IBUs
1 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min 11.5 IBUs
1.25 oz Sorachi Ace [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min 2.3 IBUs

1.0 pkg German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029) [35.00 ml] Yeast
1L Starter

Fermented at 65F for 5 days and let it free rise to 72 for an additional week. Transferred to secondary and held for about 3 weeks at 52F before kegging.

Only note to add for the future is the use of rice hulls. Mash didn't stick, but it was the slowest I've ever had (should have predicted that)...

Enjoy!

One time a college group was doing study on the subconscious effects of music upon human emotions. As part of their study they played music at a local wine store.

They discovered that when they played French music, more people bought French wines.

They also discovered that when they played German music, more people attacked the French wines.

One time a college group was doing study on the subconscious effects of music upon human emotions. As part of their study they played music at a local wine store.

They discovered that when they played French music, more people bought French wines.

They also discovered that when they played German music, more people attacked the French wines.

Sorry for the necro-thread bump, but that was hilarious

Back