Adjusting water for brown ale vs. pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsunshades

Reaction score
I finally got my water report, and using Palmers book I adjusted my water and finally got my pale ale right! Question: That was for an ale of SRM of 12 - now Im doing a nut brown SRM 22 - can I use the same brewing salts for this. My gut feeling is that my water needs these (1 tsp calcium cloride, 1 tsp epsom salts) and I might as well keep the same profile for the nut brown ale; it's not a super dark beer.
Thoughts?

I finally got my water report, and using Palmers book I adjusted my water and finally got my pale ale right! Question: That was for an ale of SRM of 12 - now Im doing a nut brown SRM 22 - can I use the same brewing salts for this. My gut feeling is that my water needs these (1 tsp calcium cloride, 1 tsp epsom salts) and I might as well keep the same profile for the nut brown ale; it's not a super dark beer.
Thoughts?

I wouldn't use epsom salts, as you probably need calcium and not magnesium (and malt has plenty of magnesium).

Color really doesn't matter, as far as the mash is concerned, on additions except that darker malt can lower pH a bit more than pale malts.

Have you tried using a spreadsheet for the water? I started with EZ water and lots of brewers like it and use it. I found that for me, Brunwater was more accurate. Although, at first, I found Brunwater very hard to use I must admit. Because I'm persistent, though, I can use it easily and I like it.

In general, you want to have your mash pH in range, and that is the goal instead of using a nomograph with certain colors. Calcium is important for yeast health, and chloride and sulfate are used for flavor.

If you post your water report, we could help you with doing a spreadsheet to see what a good basic water addition would look like for you.

Back