Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do this today...just got my ingredients. I think I will secondary this in order to clear it up, and since I will be bottling not kegging. I'm thinking that I'll ferment for 14 days @ 65F, then rack to secondary for another 14 days @ 60F. I suppose I could secondary at lower temps, then dump a packet of Nottingham in...has anyone done that with good results?

You should not need to add nottingham. Just let your bottles condition at 70 degrees for 3 weeks and you will be fine.

Just a quick kudos Ed on this recipe. Just pulled my 1st glass off the tap and is outstanding. I had to change the hops up a wee bit (shortage) but an excellent brew. I'm going to do my 1st 10g batch this weekend as this isn't gonna last long.

Thanks.

This recipe sounds delicious and exactly what I want my second batch to be.

However, due to experience/equipment issues I'd prefer to do an extract version. From looking around at other recipes/fiddling with promash, this is what I came up with for a substitution:

3.3lbs Muntons LME Extra Light
3.3lbs Muntons LME Extra Light
8oz Crystal 20L

Hops / Yeast would remain the same.

Would this be an acceptable substitute? Any other possible recommendations?

I'm thinking of making this with what I have on hand. Do you think this will work out Ed?

7.50 lb Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
2.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
0.65 oz Magnum [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Ale Yeast

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.044-1.050 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.011 SG)
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM (3.5-5.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 32.4 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.03 % (4.40-5.20 %)

I'm thinking of making this with what I have on hand. Do you think this will work out Ed?

7.50 lb Pale Ale (Crisp) (4.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
2.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
0.65 oz Magnum [12.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham Ale Yeast

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.044-1.050 SG)
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.007-1.011 SG)
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM (3.5-5.0 SRM)
Bitterness: 32.4 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU)
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.03 % (4.40-5.20 %)

That looks like it will make a fine pale ale, but it won't be a Kolsch. You need Pils malt and Kolsch yeast.

Still, with that Magnum for bittering and spicy Tett for aroma combined with Notty yeast, it will finish out dry & crisp for nice pale ale. Give it a go and if it turns out tasty, put it in the database!

That looks like it will make a fine pale ale, but it won't be a Kolsch. You need Pils malt and Kolsch yeast.

Still, with that Magnum for bittering and spicy Tett for aroma combined with Notty yeast, it will finish out dry & crisp for nice pale ale. Give it a go and if it turns out tasty, put it in the database!

Yeah I may consider it Blond Ale (6B), but it should still turn out fine. I'll see if I can get the WLP029 in time to brew...:mug:

Just about to start another 11 gallon boil of this great brew! The mash on this one smelled so bready delicious!! I just wanted to eat the spent grains with a spoon! This is a great recipe Ed. I sent it to the NHC regionals and scored 40+ with it! The comments said "Very Pilsener like!" I know it is a big hit around my house! Thanks for sharing!

Just about to start another 11 gallon boil of this great brew! The mash on this one smelled so bready delicious!! I just wanted to eat the spent grains with a spoon! This is a great recipe Ed. I sent it to the NHC regionals and scored 40+ with it! The comments said "Very Pilsener like!" I know it is a big hit around my house! Thanks for sharing!

Congrats! It is very Pilsener like. Kinda like Bit Burger Pils, but an Ale. One of my favorite summer beers. Gonna brew 10 gallons this weekend if I can get it past SWMBO. When It's done, I'm pouring my Oktobefest Ale on the yeast cake. It kicks off in 3 hours. Yumm!

. . . I'm pouring my Oktobefest Ale on the yeast cake . . .
I was planning on an Oktoberfest and this sounds like a great combination.

The Tettnanger and Hallertau are hard to find or expensive. Do you think that Vanguard will change the recipes much?

In another thread I asked this question, but hoped to get a better response here. Sorry for the lack of patience.

I was planning on an Oktoberfest and this sounds like a great combination.

The Tettnanger and Hallertau are hard to find or expensive. Do you think that Vanguard will change the recipes much?

In another thread I asked this question, but hoped to get a better response here. Sorry for the lack of patience.

I used Argentine Cascade as a substitute for Hallertau, and I believe someone in this thread used it for their own Kolsch, so I'd say try Argentine's, they're pretty cheap.

Congrats! It is very Pilsener like. Kinda like Bit Burger Pils, but an Ale. One of my favorite summer beers. Gonna brew 10 gallons this weekend if I can get it past SWMBO. When It's done, I'm pouring my Oktobefest Ale on the yeast cake. It kicks off in 3 hours. Yumm!

Oh I brewed BierMuncher's Octoberfast a couple of weeks ago. I might put your recipe on the cake of this kolsch when it is done and see how the 2 compare! Who has time to lager? :mug:

I had a Goose Island Summertime Kolsch while walking Navy Pier in Chicago yesterday and it tasted remarkably similar to the bee cave brewery kolsch I have on tap at home. Excellent recipe! Glad I made 10 gal so I'll have another one ready to switch in when the current one is empty.

I just brewed this recipe yesterday. First AG by the way. I was advised to up the grain to 12 lbs total (8.8 2 row pils and 3.2 wheat malt) to make up for expected less than perfect efficiency. It checked out at 1.044 before the boil with 6 1/3 gallons and came out at 1.051 post boil.

Any way it is resting at 68 F with a little foam at the top and I realize I should have made a starter. What would you expect w/out the starter? I used the WLP029 yeast.

Thanks

Any way it is resting at 68 F with a little foam at the top and I realize I should have made a starter. What would you expect w/out the starter? I used the WLP029 yeast.

You can expect to wait up to 36 hours before you see any airlock activity if you did not use a starter. It takes a while for a vial of 029 to get up to speed on a 5 gallon batch. Keep the temp at 68 or below.

Thanks,

It stays dead on at 68 in my study.

I imagine it will need an additional 3-7 days as it will start slower.

Do you think it will affect the flavor?

Do you use the keg for the Cold crash or should I use a 5 gallon carboy?

I'm really looking forward to this recipe and plan on trying one of your IPA's next.

I would leave in the primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 would be better. I cold crash in the fermenter so the yeast falls out for clearer beer.

I would leave in the primary for at least 2 weeks, 3 would be better. I cold crash in the fermenter so the yeast falls out for clearer beer.

Question about cold crashing: this batch has been fermenting for over 3 weeks now, and I'm ready to cold crash. What temperature do you set this at, and for how long?

Question about cold crashing: this batch has been fermenting for over 3 weeks now, and I'm ready to cold crash. What temperature do you set this at, and for how long?

I take mine down to 34 degrees for a few days. The yeast drops out and the cold temp makes for a very firm yeast cake when I rack it so I get very little transferring when I open the spigot.

I take mine down to 34 degrees for a few days. The yeast drops out and the cold temp makes for a very firm yeast cake when I rack it so I get very little transferring when I open the spigot.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to check my gravity one more time, then crash cool this tonight. Friday night when I'm brewing I'll rack this into a keg...which mean I better get busy drinking my stout that's inside it!

ED,

I am just about to make this, but my LHBS is out of alot of hops. They have Saaz (5.8%) and Spalt (2%), what do you think about substituting those for the Perle and tettenanger? Or do you have another suggestion?

I am not making it for a couple of weeks actually, so if you think i should try to order the correct hops online, i have time.

ED,

I am just about to make this, but my LHBS is out of alot of hops. They have Saaz (5.8%) and Spalt (2%), what do you think about substituting those for the Perle and tettenanger? Or do you have another suggestion?

I am not making it for a couple of weeks actually, so if you think i should try to order the correct hops online, i have time.

Try Northern Brewer for Perle and Saaz for the Tett.

BTW, Northern Brewer has both Perle and Tett in stock. Get them while you can.

I did a double batch of this last year and it was awesome. I am thinking of taking advantage of some time off in December to make 4 double batches as I can ferment and age at ambient temperature in my basement.

Koelsh Kristmas...

I just brewed this recipe yesterday. First AG by the way. I was advised to up the grain to 12 lbs total (8.8 2 row pils and 3.2 wheat malt) to make up for expected less than perfect efficiency. It checked out at 1.044 before the boil with 6 1/3 gallons and came out at 1.051 post boil.

Thanks

Hello Ed,

I brewed on 9/22. 1.051 Post boil OG.
After about a week it was 1.022
Today (19 days) it is still at 1.022 and tastes sour.
Remember I had the temp go up to about 75 on days 2 and 3 during the most active fermentation and then I dropped the temp back to 68 and fermentation slowed. Currently no airlock or any activity, although a few bubbles persist at the surface.
Should I go ahead and crash cool for 4 days and keg and see how it tastes then or am I stuck with this sour taste?

Hello Ed,

I brewed on 9/22. 1.051 Post boil OG.
After about a week it was 1.022
Today (19 days) it is still at 1.022 and tastes sour.
Remember I had the temp go up to about 75 on days 2 and 3 during the most active fermentation and then I dropped the temp back to 68 and fermentation slowed. Currently no airlock or any activity, although a few bubbles persist at the surface.
Should I go ahead and crash cool for 4 days and keg and see how it tastes then or am I stuck with this sour taste?

Does it taste sour or bitter? It's got a ways to go as mine always finishes out at 1.010 to 1.009.

It should be close to being done by now, but sourness may be a sign of infection.

Sour,
Reminds me of the smell of an old bar that has had a lot of beer spilled over the years. Or maybe what a beer left out for days after opening. Taste is similar to the smell.
Looks crystal clear and there is no mold or anything

Sour,
Reminds me of the smell of an old bar that has had a lot of beer spilled over the years. Or maybe what a beer left out for days after opening. Taste is similar to the smell.
Looks crystal clear and there is no mold or anything

Give it time. Don't throw it out!!

Do you recommend racking to 5gallon secondary or to keg or just leave it alone. I can keg it easy enough or leave it. I don't have a spare 5 gallon at this time.. Well I have one but I also have all the ingredients to make your afpelwein tomorrow. :) I have to look at the bright side...

I had great plans to wash the yeast and be ready for the next Kolsch...

Leave it at 68 for up to 4 weeks, then crash cool it and keg it. Then forget about it for a while and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Leave it at 68 for up to 4 weeks, then crash cool it and keg it. Then forget about it for a while and see what happens. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I've followed your instructions exactly, but in the wrong order :eek:! I set my fridge at 34 to crash cool, and THEN forgot about it for a while. It's been in there for 2 1/2 weeks now and I don't have a free keg to put it in yet. My apfelwein is almost gone though...maybe I'll have another poker night and have the guys finish it off. Anyways, have you ever "lagered" your pseudo lager before, and what effects did it have?

I've followed your instructions exactly, but in the wrong order :eek:! I set my fridge at 34 to crash cool, and THEN forgot about it for a while. It's been in there for 2 1/2 weeks now and I don't have a free keg to put it in yet. My apfelwein is almost gone though...maybe I'll have another poker night and have the guys finish it off. Anyways, have you ever "lagered" your pseudo lager before, and what effects did it have?

I'm sure that will work too. I have "forgotten" about mine at 38 degrees before too and it turns out quite tasty.

this tastes more like a pilsner than a Kölsch, though I'm using kölsch yeast. It ferments out dry so is it very crisp and with 36 ibu's, it's not sweet like a German Ale. This end up just over the edge on the style numbers for ibu, abv, og. etc, but since I'm using kölsch yeast, it's a kölsch in my book.

Darn tasty and another staple brew in my kitchen.

All Grain

7# 2 row Pils Malt
2.5 # Wheat Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151 degrees.

1 oz Perle 7.8% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 5 mi.

WLP029 with a starter.

Ferment for 10 days at 68 degrees, crash cool to 39 for 4 days or longer, then rack to keg.

BCB-Kolsch.jpg

Ed,

How do you get by with only a 60 minute mash when using 2 row Pils Malt?
What brand 2 row are you using?

I am doing this recipe for the second or third time. I have ideal frementation conditions in the garage. brewed on Sat afternoon and fermentation seems to have stopped today. The temperature started at 65 F and dropped to about 60 F today. I expect mid 50s tomorrow.

The Wyeast 2565 is a strange beast but a really great yeast IMHO. The thing that intrigues me is that it can act like a wimp in the starter at warm ( 70F ) but explode in the primary at 58 F. It is also hard to believe that it is a top cropping yeast, I see it as more of a " warm lager yeast" than a "cold Ale " yeast.

So for an extract version of this.. does this look about right?
I put this stuff into beer tools and this is what I came up with.. I had to lessen the hops a little to stay within the range of bitterness for the style.

kolsch.gif

Brewed a batch of this today, the only difference was in the hops, HBS didn't have Tettanger, so they recommended Argentine Cascade. I really can't wait to try this one!

Back