Wort Chiller ??????? What do you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
I just came across a nice amount of copper pipe 1/2 - 3/8 i was thinking about make a wort chiller out of the pipes and some connecting elbows, 40, 90 and so on. Do you thing it will work like if i just use a 50 foot coil copper pipe. Really dont want to see all this copper go to wast and love to see it in my brewing one way or a other. If any one has any ideas lets hear them.

I would forget about the seperate pieces of copper and just go with the single continuous 50' copper piece. You are going to have a hell of a time trying to get your elbows to not leak.

I have done a lot of plumping work with copper pipe so i know i wont have a leaking problem. Will it work the same way as a soft 50 or so feet coil. I think it will work.

I have dont a lot of plumping work with copper pipe so i know i wont have a leaking problem. Will it work the same way as a soft 50 or so feet coil. I think it will work.

It may work but here is the truth...

1st you will have more $ in copper fittings than if you went out and got the copper line, unless you got all the fittings and pipe free, even then it would be wasteful.

2nd the possibility is MUCH greater that if you develop a leak you would not know it until the wort level started to rise. I do not send filtered water through my IM so I will guess hose water in the wort would be a BAD thing. With 1 continuous piece the odds of a leak are greatly reduced.

it may work but here is the truth...

1st you will have more $ in copper fittings than if you went out and got the copper line, unless you got all the fittings and pipe free, even then it would be wasteful.

2nd the possibility is much greater that if you develop a leak you would not know it until the wort level started to rise. I do not send filtered water through my im so i will guess hose water in the wort would be a bad thing. With 1 continuous piece the odds of a leak are greatly reduced.

+1

Soft copper chiller is so easy to make, except for bending it in a couple of places. Best investment I've made to date since I was able to move to full volume brews. Drops that temp like a rock, especially with the colder water we have in MN during the cold months.

If you can sweat in some fittings though and want to do it, I don't see why it would not work. Just will take some time to make it. Cost would be similar I would guess if you have the pipe already, but it will take more time.

I already made a chiller couple years back using soft piping just wanted to see if there was anything i could use this free copper i got my hands on.

Back