Sandy Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnarles

Reaction score
So I just pitched my yeast on two 5 gallon batches of cider last Saturday before we got hit by hurricane sandy, both had real strong fermentation till tuesdayish then we lost power. For the last week we were outa power and the ciders temp was kept at around 53. The fermentaion slowed a lot but never really stopped. What effects will I see from this? Should I let it heat back up and keep fermenting or rack it off?

You shouldn't have any problems at all. What yeast did you pitch? Most (if not all?) should just slow down at those temps. They will kick back into high gear as it warms up and you can finish your fermentation as normal.

I used Wyeast 4766
I plan on adding some more yeast nutrient. so there will be no affect to flavor?

gnarles said:
I used Wyeast 4766
I plan on adding some more yeast nutrient. so there will be no affect to flavor?

I seriously doubt it. As far as I know, the flavour problems occur when temps are too high, not too low. You should be golden

RDAHB.......all will be fine. I have my cider fermenting in my unheated garage. Temps varying this time of year from hi 30's to mid 50's I will let it ride til spring. Low and slow is my goal.

thanks for the help everyone, I racked both into fresh carboys tonight and added a little yeast nutrient, with the heat being back up to the low 60's both airlocks started going again. So we wait....

Also i've recently been reading up on pectic enzymes, my father uses them in some of his wines. Anyone have good clearing results with ciders? Should i have added it to the unfermented must? or can i add it at any point to clear off some haze?

Back