First timer. Have parts from two kits, what else needed??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danzilla

Reaction score
I am planning on trying to brew some beer for the first time. I have most of the equipment I need (I think) but wanted to make sure before I order ingredients. I know I should probably do some research into what's needed before really starting but, well...you know. :) I figure I can find and follow instructions after I order the ingredient and they arrive.

Anyway...
Here's what I have, and I posted pictures on flickr.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55345835@N07/sets/72157625282084928/detail/

An old (20+ years) brew kit that belonged to my dad and was used maybe three times.
Newer kit picked up from a resale shop just over a year ago ($1.50 ;)).
Five gallon glass carboy from same resale shop (no stopper/brush for it)
30Q aluminum turkey fryer kit that's never been used.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to additional equipment needed for a first brewing and possible ingredient kits that fit what I have.

Dan.

Old kit details:
-Fermenter bucket with hole for vaporlock
-Small bag (6oz?) - says Sodium Meta-Bisufite (maybe Bisulfate?)
-Small jar (1oz?) - says yeast energizer
-Small container 10mg vitamin B tablets
-2 bags dextrose - one full 5lb bag and one with ~1.5lb remainder
-bottle caps
-capper (hammer needed variety)
-vaporlocks
-small Erlenmeyer flask with 2 holed rubber stopper

New kit details:
-Fermenter bucket with hole for vaporlock
-4' tubing (1/2"?)
-vaporlock and small rubber stopper with hole
-plastic tube (filling wand?) with bottom spring valve
-two lever capper
-bottlecaps
-specific gravity tester
-bottle of B-T-F Iodorphor sanitizer
-additional plastic bottles (pint?, quart?)

-nonrelated supplies that were just in the bucket with the rest?
-Buretrol Solution set - includes 150mL Burette, flasball device.
-1.0L 0.9% Sodium Chloride Solution (IV)

I would suggest that the chemicals from the old kit be disposed of. Actually, most of the items from the old kit probably should be disposed of, as you have newer items in the new kit.

The only thing else I can suggest are the beer ingredients, and bottles.

I'm with you on getting rid of most of the old kit. I just didn't want to do so before I was sure what I needed. The bottlecaps and the Erlenmeyer flask are still fine, even if I don't really need them (newer caps with other kit).

So far the only items that come to mind that I might need are a stopper and a brush, that I mentioned I don't have, for the glass carboy. Also, I was thinking I might need a siphon/racking cane thingy? Neither of the buckets has a spigot for emptying.

As for bottles, I put aside a couple cases of commercial bottles I was planning on reusing, but they're clear glass. Does that really make a significant difference instead of brown/green bottles?

I would definately suggest a auto siphon to make your life easier. Also you should probably get a thermometer and hydrometer. A bottling bucket would be helpful but not completely necessary. You could use the older fermenter bucket for bottling. That should be enough to get you going.

I'm with you on getting rid of most of the old kit. I just didn't want to do so before I was sure what I needed. The bottlecaps and the Erlenmeyer flask are still fine, even if I don't really need them (newer caps with other kit).

So far the only items that come to mind that I might need are a stopper and a brush, that I mentioned I don't have, for the glass carboy. Also, I was thinking I might need a siphon/racking cane thingy? Neither of the buckets has a spigot for emptying.

As for bottles, I put aside a couple cases of commercial bottles I was planning on reusing, but they're clear glass. Does that really make a significant difference instead of brown/green bottles?

Keep the bottles out of sunlight and you'll be fine.

I'd recommend a bottling bucket, a wing or bench capper, an auto-siphon (makes life easier), and I'd replace that old tubing. You can use the iodophor for sanitizer, but for cleaning you'll want something like oxiclean free (most of us use this). Give everything a good soak overnight, then sanitize right before use. Be careful iodine stains just about anything it touches, after that runs out I'd recommend some Star-San.

Keep those clear bottles out of Sunlight & Fluorescent light after you fill them, if you don't you'll skunk the beer.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look to getting an auto-siphon along with the parts I need for the carboy. I think the old tubing is fine, but I'll double check it.

You didn't mention what kind of bottles you have. You need the pry off cap kind. Twist off won't work. If they are not pry off just buy 10 six packs of a micro brew pry off cap beer and drink it all up while your beer is fermenting. :drunk:. I'd get new tubing as well as Star San for sanitizing. When I came back to brewing a few weeks ago, my LHBS told me that the iodophor had a shelf life of 1 year. They might have been full of it IDK.

With tubing that old, I'd definitely replace it. All mine gets replaced about every 12moz or so anyway, it's not worth the risk of infection IMHO.

Hello again. Just thought I'd update with the my woes of a first brewing attempt.
First, after pre-boiling water in my previously unused aluminum pot (to oxidize it), when I finally boiled the wort, it reached a boil much faster than I expected and, well, I wasn't there at the moment and it boiled over. (and over and over.) :( I thought I had more leeway with only 4 gallons in a 30 Q pot, but I guess not.
I eventually got everything squared away and in the fermenter bucket. It was bubbling every couple of seconds when I checked it around 12 and 24 hours after adding the yeast. At 36 hours... it was dead. I assumed someone in the house had been nosing around and broken the seal, but after trying to reseat the bubbler and even adding duct tape around the lid, I've come to the conclusion that I must have done something wrong.

It's been two more days now and no more bubbles. I used an ingredient kit fI ordered online called "Octoberfest" that came with a DME, hop pettets, etc., etc. Everything seemed in good order so I don't think it was the kit. I used a slightly different prep method than was suggested... adding one gallon worth of ice at the end of the boil to speed cooling down. The only real mistakes I made that I can think of were that I used a kitchen mesh strainer without sanitizing it when moving to the fermenter (the wort was near boiling and I figured it would be fine). There was also the fact that the ice could have picked up some contaminants when it was dropped from the freezer door. Probably should have gotten in straight from the freezer instead of using the door dispenser, but I didn't think of it being a risk at a the time.

Ah well, I assume it's gunk now, but I don't know enough to be sure. The things I've read suggest it takes around a week for 5 gallons to ferment, so under two days would have to be something wrong. I'll give it a couple more days before checking, just on the off chance it's out-gassing somewhere I didn't notice (it is a used bucket after all) and might still be viable... :p

Just sharing as I thought my first attempt might amuse some. Any verification of why it would stop bubbling at (slightly before) 36 hours would be appreciated. It was stored outside, but in a covered area, at temps in the 70s (till last nights 40 F cold).

Back