Same Odd Flavor in Three Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powers

Reaction score
I brewed three batches of homebrew this year, each in our new place (with a new water source). The first was a partial mash, the second two were pure extract brews.

There is an odd flavor in each beer that is the same. It is less noticeable in the partial mash, which was an imperial nut brown ale. In the lighter brews, it is very prominent. It is a plastic or chemical flavor that really overrides any other flavors. At first I thought it was just a very strong yeast essence, because it smells similar--but stronger--than a vial of liquid yeast.

But now I believe it might have something to do with our city's tap water--which has chlorine and other chemicals added.

My other suspicion is that the brew supply store had some old extracts or poor quality ones. I used the same extract brand in all three batches, and I used the same tap water in all three batches.

I'm brewing a separate batch right now with bottled water and am using Midwest Brew Supply for the ingredients. I'm also using a higher quality yeast. Hopefully I can get rid of this bad chemical flavor.

Any thoughts on the cause of the off flavor??

thanks, i'm hoping the good water i'm using on the next batch will take care of it. thanks for the response!

Back