Making beer from cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustwing

Reaction score
Wow, I take a few months off from the internet and a gluten free forum springs up on HBT? AWESOME!

I'll post more on this later, but I was wondering if anyone else has tried using a cider base for GF beer. My first batch of apfelwine turned out really dry and champagne-y and I wasnt too keen on it, but it dawned on me that that kind of taste was pretty pregnable by beer-y flavors..so..I tried brewing another batch with sorghum syrup and molasses instead of corn sugar. After a few months I added some hops, I didnt really expect it to work so I didnt take note of how huch but I'm gonna guess an ounce of cascade into my 3 gallon. That was...rather explosive :drunk: first time my airlock has ever rocketed out and hit the ceiling.

Anyway it's been a few months since and I think the hops might have been a bad idea..it's a little grassy now. But! It is beerlike. I'm aging it to try to find out more.

Has anyone else tried this route?

I haven't tried it, but I was thinking of doing this a couple of months ago. I was basically warned off it on another forum as it would taste horrible.

But that is no excuse for not trying right. I might give it a go the next time I brew some cider. Let us know how yours works out.

check out the recipe for graff. its a malty and slightly hopped cider. kind a beer/cider hybrid, i havent brewed it yet but i second the apfelwein being dry. its good but takes a while to get used to. look it up on the search function.

Back