Looking to start kegging (Questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I have a freezer that I can use with a temp controller. I would like to start with 2 kegs but I don't understand how the regulators work. I don't want to buy a regulator that I can't add a third keg to someday.

Can someone point me to a regulator that would work for two and possibly for a third someday?

Thanks

A single primary regulator will work for an unlimited number of kegs at once, provided that all kegs are carbonated to the same volumes of CO2, and all set to the same serving pressure. A primary regulator is one that attaches to the CO2 tank, and often includes an additional gauge to monitor the tank's level as well.

If you want multiple serving/carbing pressures at one time, you'll need to buy a secondary regulator (or a bank of them, one for each line). Note that this is not usually necessary. I've been running 3 kegs for some time now with only a primary regulator. I just used some stainless T's to split the gas line coming off the regulator.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The regulator on the far right is a primary, and would attach to the CO2 tank. The ones to its left are all secondaries. The primary in this case could either go straight to your kegs (if all the same pressure), or it could go into this bank of secondaries, and each one of them control a different line.

06-Regulators.jpg~original

To server/carb multiple kegs from a single regulator, you want a manifold (Google CO2 manifold). As pointed out, in this scenario all kegs will be supplied the same pressure from the single regulator. However, you can use the shut-off's on the manifold to burst carb., e.g., turn off the valves for all the other kegs and then turn the regulator up to 30 psi on the one keg.

You only need multiple regulators when you want multiple pressures, i.e., one pressure = one regulator, two pressures = two regulators, etc.

Primary regulator hooks up to co2 tank.
Set your required pressure.
Gas line goes from regulator to co2 manifold.
Those can be 2 lines 3, 4, etc.
Look at this link and you'll get the picture.

http://www.amazon.com/Air-Distributor-CO2-Manifold-Select/dp/B00J4P4POY

This set up is good for most applications. If you feel like carbing at different pressures then you'd need secondary regulators as pictured above. Those would replace the manifold and allow you to set individual pressure to each keg.

Last edited by a moderator:
A single primary regulator will work for an unlimited number of kegs at once, provided that all kegs are carbonated to the same volumes of CO2, and all set to the same serving pressure. A primary regulator is one that attaches to the CO2 tank, and often includes an additional gauge to monitor the tank's level as well.

If you want multiple serving/carbing pressures at one time, you'll need to buy a secondary regulator (or a bank of them, one for each line). Note that this is not usually necessary. I've been running 3 kegs for some time now with only a primary regulator. I just used some stainless T's to split the gas line coming off the regulator.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about. The regulator on the far right is a primary, and would attach to the CO2 tank. The ones to its left are all secondaries. The primary in this case could either go straight to your kegs (if all the same pressure), or it could go into this bank of secondaries, and each one of them control a different line.

Thank you so much. I have bought a single regulator and I notice that on the outlet that goes to the keg there are threads. It looks like you have some coupling on yours. Is that correct? What is it called?

You need a swivel nut. I use a swivel nut with a 5/16 hose barb.
Just try to keep your fittings consistent. Also check out keg connection they have all the info you need.

[...]I have bought a single regulator and I notice that on the outlet that goes to the keg there are threads. It looks like you have some coupling on yours. Is that correct? What is it called?

Manifolds, regulators and quick disconnects with threaded fittings instead of barbs use 1/4" flare fittings (which actually have 7/16-20 threading). You use one of these

BarbedSwivelNutQuaterInch2.jpg

to terminate the hoses and connect to the manifold, regulator or disconnect...

Cheers!

This is what I have. I can control 4 kegs independently and if I add a manifold between the primary and secondary regulators. The advantage is I can have force carb one keg while the other 3 are serving up beer or have different styles of beer all on tap, some high carb and some low carb. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back