New Grain Supplier = Lower Gravity Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
Almost all the grain I brew with comes from my LHBS but with this last batch I switched it up and ordered grain from Northern Brewer. Love the grain, great quality, pleased with the packaging and everything else. Will order from them again in a heartbeat BUT ... when I brewed this weekend my wort gravity was .011 less than anticipated (anticipated 1.045, measured 1.034.)

This is the first time that has happened. I am doing BIAB now and I am thinking that maybe Northern Brewer crushes the grains less than the LHBS and that may be part of the issue. I was worried that might be the case and mashed for an additional half hour (1.5 hours rather than 1) just in case. I had a solid temperature of 152F for the first hour although it dipped to 148F by the end. Still, pretty much spot on in that category.

What do you think - should I just pony up for my own grain crusher? Or can anyone think of other reasons why my mash would have come out so much lower?

I order all my grains from NB. With my system, I get around 78% efficiency when I brew lower gravity beers (1.036 OG) and around 60% when I brew the big boys (1.080+).

I haven't seen a difference if I crush my own bulk grains or if they come from NB crushed.

Perhaps it was just a fluke this one time? It's happened to me before... that's why I always measure my pre-boil gravity to adjust before I start boiling.

Did you weigh your grains from NB when you received them..?

Northern Brewer will adjust their mills to whatever you request, their default is moderately conservative. Just add a note the next time you order to double crush or set their gap smaller.

Northern Brewer will adjust their mills to whatever you request, their default is moderately conservative. Just add a note the next time you order to double crush or set their gap smaller.

Cool! Thanks for the heads up. I was pretty impressed with their operation so this doesn't surprise me.

Also, I realized late today that I HAD been removing my grain bag after boil and adding additional hot water (under 162F) to the wort by pouring over the grain bag. This time I just added the water to the wort without pouring over the grain bag. Must have lost about a quarter of the total gravity just by not doing that -- at least I'll make that change and try it again this weekend.

Was it the same brand of malt? If I use Canadian, I get around 68% eff. With Hugh Bairds, I get close to 80%. I have my own mill. You can usually get a grain report on line from the maltster. It will tell you the potential yield.

Latest posts

Back