This is not apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I wanted to take a shot at making a caramel hard cider about 4 months ago, so I boiled up a just over a pint of water and slowly started dissolving table sugar in it , then I boiled it till it was about a caramel color, ended up being just over 1.5lbs of sugar, So I splt that and added it to a half gallon of apple cider. I basically forgot about it but today I was in the basement and saw that it had completely cleared so I brought it upstairs and gave it a try. First off, the alcohol aroma off it is literally as strong as like maybe a brandy or a light rum. Hits you like a brick. The taste is of apple and caramel but its super smooth. only problem is its HOT, literally burns in your stomach like you just did a shot. I had taken a hydrometer reading initially but it was wrong because all the caramel sugar had sunk to the bottom and solitified. FG is .995

I am actually thinking about doing it again. Almost a dessert drink. Still had residual sweetness and a hell of a kick

I am actually thinking about doing it again. Almost a dessert drink. Still had residual sweetness and a hell of a kick

It sounds tasty to me, I bet the burn will subside with age and it will make a good desert drink. Maybe with some carmel coffee cake.

ooh yeah. Actually thinking of using it for marinating pork chops for dinner tomorrow.

Back