New perlick faucets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's the lowdown on the new perlick faucets? I'm looking up prices to convert a small fridge into a kegerator and I wonder if the new style perlicks are worth buying? I think I read some complaints about them...

I think there were some complaints a year or two ago but I think that was a bad batch or something... I just bought some a few months ago and they're great. I have no experience with rear-sealing faucets but I'm convinced for a home kegerator (that can go days/weeks without a pint being poured) Perlicks are the way to go. I've gone weeks between using them and haven't had any sticking, off flavors, etc.

I have the rear-sealing faucets and they get stuck after a few days, left even longer and they get jammed up pretty good. They came with the tower I got on CL and haven't replaced them yet but my annoyance level is currently floating around 7/10 after I spent a good part of Sunday cleaning out my kegerator, lines and faucets.

If your kegerator only has one or two taps it’s probably not a big deal as you’ll be hitting it frequently. I have a 6 tap tower so it’s a constant battle to keep them clean.

Just bought new Blichmann kettle, mash tun, burners, chiller and a new pump. Once the wife sees the ton of stuff at UPS today I suspect draconian spending cuts on their way so no perlicks for a while.

I have a pair of the older forward perlicks and I think they are great. I have had one get a bit sticky, but I think that was an anomaly, because I've had them also not used for a few weeks at a time and they generally no operate any differently after sitting like that.

They changed the design since I got those and I read some review that said they tended to leak for some people.

Not sure it matters. The person I was going to help set up this kegerator for has basically declined. He and his girl don't have room in the their new small house for a kegerator. I have someone else I was going to ask, so we'll see.

I have 4 of the chrome ones and have never had an issue with them.
Clay

Jeez. I finally found someone who wanted a free 4-tap fridge for a kegerator!

And he has the tank and regulator and a keg or two already, so he's mostly ready to go.

So glad to hear these are not a problem. I'll recommend them to him when he picks up the fridge.

I have 4 of the chrome ones and have never had an issue with them.
Clay

Hi

Just to be clear - mine are the chrome ones as well. I couldn't justify the extra $400 for stainless steel ( I just counted again and there's more than 12...maybe they are now multiplying on their own).

Bob

Back