Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstudio18

Reaction score
Tonight I finally tried my first batch, and it's delicious! It was a Brewer's Best IPA kit which I modified to include a dry hop. I did 3 weeks primary and they've been bottled for 10 days now. I'm anxious to see how the flavor evolves as it gets a little older, but I'd be completely happy if it never got better than it was tonight. My only comment is that I was surprised at the level of carbonation after 10 days...I was expecting it to be undercarbed since I was impatient and opened it ahead of the two weeks bottle conditioning I had planned. But at 10 days in bottles it has a thick creamy head (but not gushing by any means). Is there any need to worry about overcarbing at this point? I just added the specified amount of priming sugar that came with the kit and I'm keeping the bottles in the dark at a steady 68-70F.

Cheers!

336361_626240891461_39003240_33572990_677886130_o.jpg

No worry on overcarbonation. Carbonation is a matter of how much sugar you added, and the kit amount is perfect.

The beer will bubble and have head when poured early, but in order to have a true good quality carbonation it will take about 3 weeks. Don't worry if you drink it before then, 'cause you can make more!

Oh, and congrats!

God, I hope my first batch turns out that good-looking. Been in primary for 6 days and I can't wait to rack it and get another batch started. Welcome and Happy Brewing!

that looks damn good. i bottled my first ipa and i dont have a head like that :( but it tastes damn good. congrats

How long has it been in bottles? It may just need more time. And thanks!

i had a post reguarding this. they had been in for 1 week as my directions stated and i tried it and little to no carbonation so i am waiting a few more weeks. i did try one last night with better results as of now they have been in 10ish days

i had a post reguarding this. they had been in for 1 week as my directions stated and i tried it and little to no carbonation so i am waiting a few more weeks. i did try one last night with better results as of now they have been in 10ish days

yeah, it's unfortunate that patience plays such a big role because i have none. haha. I'm totally new to this to but did you try moving them to a slightly warmer area and swirling the bottles to stir up the yeast that settled? I read that somewhere around here, so I'm sure it was suggested in your thread.

I had a batch that was in primary for 4 weeks and I decided to bottle. I added only 3 oz if priming sugar (BB kits vine with 5) and still had bottle bombs. I obviously had a stalled fermentation that reactivated during bottling. So bombs can happen. Did you take a FG reading before bottling? Im sure it will be fine.

yeah FG hit the target and was consistent for a couple days before I dry hopped so I'm pretty sure it fermented out...the thought of exploding beer bottles scares me a bit haha.

lpstudio18 said:
yeah FG hit the target and was consistent for a couple days before I dry hopped so I'm pretty sure it fermented out...the thought of exploding beer bottles scares me a bit haha.

If it hit your target you should be good. Mine didn't quite reach it's target but was stable for a week. Thought I was good. Wifes cloths got a little sticky in the closet

Back