Pitching Temp for Notty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty

Reaction score
So, brewed a Blue Moon Belgian Blond Clone using Danstar Nottingham. Due to time constraints and quite possibly the crappiest thermometer you can buy, pitched the yeast with the wort temp. about 80*(thats what the liquid crystal thermometer on the fermenter said after about 20 min). After about 5 hours i have a vigorous fermentation working with air bubbles through the airlock at at least one per second. Rehydrated per the instructions on the package and added 1/2 tsp of wyeast nutrients. What, if any off flavors can i expect from pitching to a wort at such a high temp? Thought at first that it would just kill the yeast and would have to repitch, but seems to be going OK. Still pretty green and looking for some advice. Thanks

Rock Chalk

Chris

Probably be ok. I'm drinking right now some Bee Cave Amber Ale using Notty,where the ferment temp got away from me and was-80-90dg and it chewed through the fermentation in a day, and it tastes damn good. let it sit in the primary an couple extra days and you should be fine

Notty has some foul flavors when it's fermented above about 72. Hopefully you were able to cool it down before fermentation got going too vigorously, so it won't be too much of an issue.

That's a very weird yeast choice for a Belgian, though!!!!!

Notty has some foul flavors when it's fermented above about 72. Hopefully you were able to cool it down before fermentation got going too vigorously, so it won't be too much of an issue.

Yooper
That's a very weird yeast choice for a Belgian, though!!!!!

Was down to 75 by the time fermentation really tookoff. Sitting at 72 24 hours later and fermetation is rolling about 2 bubbles a second. Gases smell awesome, last 5min added 1oz fresh orange peel and .5oz fresh lemon peel

Sort of a take on BlindLemonLars Squeeze my Lemons Blonde. Dropped the Carapils and added 2lbs of wheat (this is Kansas) and a little orange peel as well.
He used S-04 Figured Nott was close as the were out locally.

Toecutter
Two questoins. How'd you get that name and hows the Blood Orange Heff? I assume its Sam Calagiones recipe.

Rock Chalk

Chris

Back