drying better bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chumley

Reaction score
Anyone else have issues with getting the inside of their better bottle dry so that it can be stored? I will leave mine upside down for several days and there is still a fair amount of water inside. Never had this problem with glass carboys, I could get the water hot enough that it would dry fairly quickly.

I know if I used to blow dryer or some such I could get it dry but that just seems like to much work :D anyone have an easy solution?

Thanks!

I store mine upside down for a few days after cleaning to drain as much water as possible, then store them upright with a folded up paper towel stuffed in the top to allow residual water to evaporate while preventing anything from getting in.

I drain mine for a couple days then store them on their sides. I'm going to rinse and sanitize them before I use them so I don't have a problem keeping the hole open but nothing really gets in there with them on the side.

I don't use Better Bottles, but it shouldn't be any different from glass carboys. I don't dry mine at all. I simply clean and sanitize them after use then cap them with some plastic wrap and a rubber band. Any moisture remaining is residual sanitizer and I figure that it will help keep the bad guys at bay. I give them another sanitizer rinse just prior to use. Been doing it this way for a very long time without problems.

I wouldn't try using a blow dryer unless you want your BB turn into a shrinky dink! I think the heat would really screw up the plastic. If anybody wants to give it a try and report back though I would be interested to find out what happened.

I just shake the water out as much as I can from the BB and not worry if there is a little condensation in it. I usually do another soaking with oxyclean the day before I use a BB and sanitize just prior to use with acidulated bleach. I like it because it doesn't stain my gear and doesn't fill the BB with bubbles like starsan does.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll try rinsing with starsan and won't worry if they don't dry out completely before I put them away.

I store mine upside down for a few days after cleaning to drain as much water as possible, then store them upright with a folded up paper towel stuffed in the top to allow residual water to evaporate while preventing anything from getting in.

That's how I roll too.

I oxiclean mine after I empty the wort out. I turn it upside down, come back a few days later and then throw it on a shelf.

If you actually look on the Better Bottle website, they say you shouldn't turn it upside down to dry it, but instead turn it on its side.

Drying Carboys – Know What To Expect – Uncomplicated

Glass is hydrophilic, so water forms a film on the surface and well-cleaned glass carboys may appear to drain dry even though they are not actually dry. Better-Bottle carboys are hydrophobic, so small droplets of water will remain on their surfaces when the final rinse water is drained out. If a carboy is to be used immediately, these droplets of water will not be a problem. If a carboy is to be stored, shake it a little to remove some of the residual droplets and set the carboy on its side in a clean, dry area. Better-Bottle carboys tend to dry out more quickly when they are placed on their sides than when they are inverted on the sort of stand that is used for draining glass carboys.

Wow I've been following directions without even knowing it ;)

I rinse my BBs, shake dry and toss on a shelf on their sides. I leave all of my cleaned vessels open as I find if I cap them there is always some residual moisture and I get mold. If I leave them open, things dry and I don't have mold problems.

-Joe

Good info.:mug: I too was having problems getting the inside dry. I even tried a leafblower:D to dry things out after water droplets wouldn't disappear after 4-5 days. Think I'll place it on its side next time.

Latest posts

Back